Kaiser Grand Universe runs too fast

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by markiemark, May 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have a Kaiser Universe and a Grand Universe.

The Kaiser Universe runs on time. The slow/fast adjustment allows the clock to run between -2 min/hour to +2 min/hour. Is this about the normal range?

On the Kaiser Grand Universe the slow/fast adjustment allows the clock to run between +30 min/hour to +10 min/hour (both very fast). For both clocks the pendulum is identical as I have reassembled them myself.

The Grand Universe has a new suspension spring which I believe is the correct specification for this clock (called the "Kaiser Standard 54" from a reputable seller). The anchor, however, had no upright wire that connects it to the suspension spring, so I have glued one on (I know it's a little rough). Now the clock works, runs continuously, but it runs very fast, the anchor is probably the potential issue but I have tried moving the position of the upright wire closer/further from the suspension spring with no significant change to its speed. Anyone know why the clock might run so fast? Could it be purely due to the anchor wire?

I haven't dismantled the movement but I assume if there was a problem in there the clock would run slow.

IMG_1803.jpg IMG_1805.jpg IMG_1806.jpg IMG_1808.jpg

2. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I willbe very interested to see what those with more experience on these clocks say, but I have three sugestions.
    Even though , asyou say it is rough, I dont think the pin is the problem, itis not really the timing controller.
    The suspension wire is the most likely culprit. Did you test it wasthe right thickness, or is it caught somewhere?
    Finally and probably the least likely, are the weights in the "real" pendulum in thebase secured and balanced. These are your coarse adjustment for setting up.
    David

3. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    This is the suspension spring I fitted to the Grand Universe - Kaiser
    Would the Kaiser Universe use the same as the Grand Universe? I could try and swap them to see what happens.

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The time regulation is controlled by two primary things: the dimensions of the suspension spring (thickness, width, and length) and the weight of the pendulum (along with the position of the small regulation weights). It's a classic spring-mass pendulum studied in college vibration courses. The problem has to be in that area. Likely the spring dimensions are not matched to the weight of the pendulum.

Kurt

5. sjaffe

sjaffe Registered User

Dec 25, 2012
    Engineer
    Santa Rosa,CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since your clock is gaining time inconsistently, you might want to see if it is fluttering. Fluttering is when the escape wheel advances more than one tooth as the pallets oscillate. Repositioning the fork can eliminate this. Do a search on "fluttering" for more info from past postings in this forum. If you are sure it is not fluttering, you'll need a thinner spring to slow the pendulum rotation.
    Stan

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A couple of other things: If you ordered a complete suspension unit, you probably got a spring made from another material. You need genuine Horolovar springs to match the dimensions in the book. It's normal for the timing control to have a four minute/hour adjustment range. Also, you have a four minute/hour change for every .0001" of spring thickness. This will allow you to calculate the thickness change needed to regulate the clock. But first be sure the timing is consistent, and not caused by flutter or something else mentioned above.

7. Moeby

Moeby New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #7 Moeby, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Re-posted to new thread.