K&D main spring winder #128

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by oldman1943, Jul 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. oldman1943

oldman1943 New Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi;
    New to watch repair at age 72, I just like to learn new things. i bought a kd 128 spring winder and have know idea how to use it. If you can help that would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In a complete #128, you should have 8-9 "cups", three cranks, at least two "collets" and then of course the frame of the winder itself.

When setting this tool up to use, you will first sort through the "cups"(organize them from smallest to largest to save yourself some grief) and-through trial fitting-find the largest one that fits completely inside the mainspring barrel. Install this on the frame of the winder-you will note that each cup has a dimple in the edge-this should be lined up with the set screw in the frame, and the screw tightened.

Look at your cranks, and notice that each one has a "pin" running through the end that is intended to engage the hole in the center of the spring. Each crank has a different end diameter-pick the one closest to the center size of the spring you are using(I almost always the largest diameter for larger pocket watches).

You then need to install the crank in the frame. First of all, to make your life easy, you will note that the rear retention bearing can be rotated and has a large slot in it that will lifting the crank in out of the frame. Line it up to this position. Slip two collets over the crank(with their set screws loosened, insert the crank in the frame with the "pinned" in going through the cup installed earlier, and turn the retention nut to hold the crank in place.

The trick part come with setting up the collets correctly. You will note that each cup is in two pieces, with a center portion that can be pushed "out." You will want to retract this, line the crank up so that the "shoulder" on it is flush with the bottom of the cup, slide the collet to the bottom of the cup, and tighten the set screw on it(it should be very firm). Without disturbing anything, slide the second collet to the back of the frame and then snug it down(firmly) also. The winder should now be set up for use.

Put the center of your spring in the cup and engage it with the winder. You will note that there is a slot cut in the side of the cup to allow you to thread out the majority of the spring. You may need to use a pair of mainspring pliers to bend the center of the spring slightly and get it to engage the pin in the crank.

Now, start winding. Because the cup on the 128 is open at the top, you will need to find some way to hold the spring in place as it will tend to come out(and twist itself into a pretzel) when winding. I've done a couple of different things. My usual method is to just push the end of the winder down on my bench and then wind. I've also held a piece of bench tissue or cardboard over the end(whatever you do, avoid touching the spring as much as possible). You may want to leave a small "tail" sticking out the end of the cup so that you can manually engage the hook or T at the appropriate point in the barrel. Once the spring is wound into the winder, turn the crank backwards a little bit until the crank disengages from the spring. This will allow you to "shoot" it into the barrel and also take the winding tension off so that you no longer have to hold the spring in the barrel.

Then, you can insert the spring. Put the cup of the winder down in the barrel and push on the crank to eject the spring. You should then(hopefully) be done.

In all honesty, it takes a lot less time to do it than it took me to write this up, although there is a bit of a learning curve. It's not a bad idea to buy some junk springs or save some old springs for practice

The #128 is a very versatile winder, but for general watch use I actually find the #127 a fair bit easier to use. It's faster to set up and also doesn't have the retention problem during winding of the #128.

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    oldman,
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board !

Glad to hear you are interested in leaning watch repair.

We have a seperate forum for Repairs and also one to discussing tools.

https://mb.nawcc.org/forumdisplay.php?13-Horological-Tools

Ben has done a great job of describing the tool and this forum catches more traffic so I will leave the thread here

4. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Ben, do you have any pictures I thought I had a complete set but the "2 collets" I don't think were in the kit.
    Thanks Griff