Just wanted to introduce myself!

Discussion in 'Just Practicing and Learning' started by Elgin_Galaxie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Elgin_Galaxie

Elgin_Galaxie New Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone! My name is John Stouffer and I live in a Small town Called Batesville, IN. My clock/watch obsession started only a few months ago. I am a vintage radio nut too. I love all different kinds of clocks and watches. I'm hoping I can learn a lot from this forum, I have a feeling i will! I don't know where this passion for clocks and watches came from, i just really wanted a watch one day, and now it's a monster! I don't collect for money, and I could care less about value, I just collect what I like, and what I can afford. Today I found an Elgin Galaxie wrist watch at a small yard sale, the glass is cracked, but I love it! I out a new band on it and popped in a new battery and it's been keeping PERFECT time ever since. So I hope this is posted in the right spot, I can't wait to meet some of you! Thanks! -John

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John - welcome to our community. You will find people here with a wide range of interests in all kinds of watches and clocks; timepieces from ancient to modern.
    Please take some time to explore our forums. (My obsession started about 55 years ago and hasn't let up).

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I would like to add my welcome to Jerry's.

I'm a pocket watch collector, but do have a few clocks
    and wristwatches. This is a great community.

Rob

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board John!

You've come to the right place to learn more about the care and feeding of your collection and your growing addiction.

That's the only way to go in my opinion. The more you know, the better your decisions will be. Take your time and go slow would be my only advice to you.

My interest in clocks started in earnest just shy of 10 years ago. Still going strong although I have less room and less money to devote to acquiring new clocks now. I have a couple of Pocket Watches that were given to me by a friend, but I haven't really delved into collectible Watches just yet. I have an older, very thin Citizen Eco-Drive Stiletto with a dark blue face which I bought new nearly 20 years ago (as I recall). I've had the rechargeable "battery" replaced once. Nice, accurate, low-maintenance, it just keeps going. Love it. If it doesn't get lost or destroyed, one of my heirs will have to decide what to do with it.

On the clock side, although I've restored and sold a fair number of our total collection we still have well over 200 clocks (eight tall cases) in the house. I think I acquired too many, too fast but part of the reason was my desire to learn how to fix and restore clocks (not just the movements, but the entire clock) so from that perspective, I have no regrets. Ask me again in ten years if I'm still around. My heirs may have hundreds of regrets to deal with. And then they'll have to deal with all the clocks... :rolleyes:

Again, welcome. Come over to the "Clock Side" of the Force from time to time just to see what we're arguing about if nothing else. :chuckling:

Regards,

Bruce

musicguy likes this.
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've collected unusual clocks, and have an abundance. The "house rule" now is 'if one comes in, one has to go out!'. I don't know where she gets these ideas :D

6. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    My wife just bought her first vintage clock this past weekend, I'm thinking
    I'm safe for a while.

Rob

7. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had in the back of my mind that two have to go out before one comes in. Just one of those annoying little voices that I often ignore. This past weekend I was all set to bid on an Ansonia Royal Bonn. Had Tran's book out. Guestimated shipping/insurance, and Buyer's Premium. Then I got wrapped up in a Message Board Thread and just missed the Lot. It went for about 60% of what I was willing to spend on it. :banghead:

Wasn't meant to be. The Message Board saves me from myself sometimes.

Clocks "hog" space Rob. They can easily make you look like a hoarder. Better try to keep out in front of that. "Where is it going to go?" is a question my wife and I often ask ourselves before even thinking of acquiring another one. That usually dissuades us from further consideration. Feel free to use it if your wife starts to develop any symptoms. :chuckling: