Just unpacked my latest EBay "regulator" Japanese Manufacture?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Douglas Ballard, Jul 23, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my latest "guess who made it" clock from EBay. Unpacked it to find the bezel glass cracked, the key, pendulum and and leader thrown in to the case with no padding at all, just rattled around in there all the way from Wisconsin. The clock was being sold "as is" because it didn't run. Took me a whole 5 minutes to get the yolk adjusted and it is ticking merrily away as I write this. The movement will need a cleaning and lube and the case needs to be reglued, but all in all a nice clock for $25 (can I say that since I'm not asking a price?)

The gong base is stamped "Tokyo Japan" and "Seikosha." The plates are nice and thick with no apparent worn pivots/bushings from initial inspection. Notice the way the main springs are wired back against the posts (photo #1). . . any guesses as to when this was made this would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Too bad that old lady had to suffer but it sure looks good from here.I have the same clock case with a calendar movement,strong runner and one of the best time keepers.
    Bruce

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    !BbZ6CrQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKkEEq5NPGfPsBKv6M5Pd1w~~_12.jpg !BbZ6BUg!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjkEq5UJorjkBKv6M18jDg~~_12.jpg here is mine..................

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like early 1900's Japanese manufacture, Douglas. It's a good looking clock, that will repair the same as an American movement. Those wires are something added, not factory. Good movement to practice on.

5. Jay

Jay Registered User

Dec 12, 2007
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug,Bruce,
    Both nice clocks. I would guess the clock was made around 1910--20's.
    These clocks have nice case work and they are usually good time keepers.

6. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a beauty, Bruce. Looks like it has concave glass in the bezel? I've looked at www.timesavers.com for a replacement for mine, it is flat. Looks like it measures 8" across and all timesavers has in flat is 8 1/2".

7. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold & Jay, thanks for the dates, appreciate it. It seems to be a solid runner. Looking forward to taking it apart for a cleaning.

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Douglas, any glazier will be able to cut a piece of 2 mil window glass to your dimensions for a very small price. My guy would do this for under $10. If you bring him the glass, even cheaper.

9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Doug,my case is a very nicely grained elm with great color........your's will look very nice once you get some of the surface dirt off and some minor cleanup.
    The glass is flat and as Harold said between 2-3 mil.Went to a glass company that also does salvage and restoration and got a beautiful piece of glass,If you have to solder any tabs etc be caustious as the bezel brass is thin and you can go through it.
    Regards,
    Bruce

10. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, have to desolder at least two of the tabs. I've done some silver soldering so know a little heat goes a long way. Thanks for the reminder. Hope to have my case looking 1/2 as nice as yours!

11. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harold, I was wondering if a glass shop could cut a circle, I suppose they can. I think that will be my best bet to get the exact size and not have to wait for it. Do you know if you can fit a concave glass in a bezel that originally had a flat piece? Seems like it should but thought I would ask.

12. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Usually you can't put convex glass into a bezel designed for flat glass, without doing an ugly glue job to hold it in place, Douglas.

13. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I'll stay away from "ugly" and go with the flat glass. Thanks.