Just got an Citizen Eco-Drive at a garage sale yesterday

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Bill Manders, Jul 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What can anyone tell me about the Citizen eco-drive. I had understood it was not a bad watch, both for accuracy and longevity, but what do I know ? It has kept perfect time over night to the second.
    It was not working when I bought it, so googled it and got a manual on setting and trouble shooting. Fount it was just kept in a drawer for several years and had no charge, sat it in overcast skies for a couple of hours and that was it, seems fine.
    It has an E111 movement, and would like to know how that compares to anything, that is if there is a comparable, as I am unaware of anyone else that has that type of system, of course not being a wrist watch guy, I could well be wrong. Oh I might add I paid 5 bucks Cdn for it.
    Any ideas and info appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bill

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  2. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Oh I might add I paid 5 bucks Cdn for it".

Consider yourself extremely lucky.. I got mine used from a forum member in like new condition and it cost me way more than you paid!

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    my wife has had one the last 2 years, no issues, keeps great time, did NOT pay $5, maybe 13 times that new.

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congrats on your find! :thumb:

I purchased a Citizen Eco Drive Stiletto Watch with a dark blue dial about 18 years or so ago. It's ultra thin and very accurate. It's been several weeks since I set it. I just checked and it's running about 3 seconds slow. I love it. Use it to set/regulate our mechanical clocks. I've had to replace the rechargeable battery-solar cell once so far. I wear a Fitbit tracker and can get time from it but I still wear my Citizen. If I can continue to replace the solar cell, I'll continue to wear it until my rechargeable batteries fail to hold a charge. :exhausted:

Bruce

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice find Bill. I should go to your garage sales. Enjoy.

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The rechargeable cell is a capacitor. They aren't inexpensive like batteries are. Citizen claims "you'll never have to change a battery again". Misleading marketing because their ecodrive watch never had a battery in it. They generally last up to seven years, some longer.

7. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Bruce Alexander, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    I think that a replacement will currently cost around $80 or so. It's true that you could buy a lot of watch batteries for that much but you don't have to. My first capacitor lasted about 15 years so. I guess I got lucky with that one. :)

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was fitting them for $60 retail up until the shop closed recently.

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I paid about 20 dollars shipped for the capacitor for my Seiko and installed it myself.

10. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're a better watchmaker than me Kevin. The clock gears I work with are bigger than many wrist watches. I don't have any tools that would safely get me into the Watch so I sent it off rather than risk damaging it. One needs to know their limits. ;)

Regards,

Bruce

Kevin W. and roughbarked like this.
  11. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree Bruce, it tookme time to do it. I had to google it and then to actually do it. I started in this hobby with pocket watches, taking them apart and clean and oil assemble them. I work on my own watches but dont take on work. I honestly do enjoy clock repair now, easier to see.

12. PWR_family

PWR_family Registered User

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    My buddy had a dozen of these watches..inherited...all were dead....put them in the Florida sun for a few days and all but one came back to life..set them and they all run perfectly.....and they sell well too....much more than a garage sale purchase!