Just for fun a visit to Woodstock, Illinois

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I must be a real watch nerd.........

I bought a watch on eBay from Woodstock Illinois a while back and to tell the truth
I really can't remember which one it was off hand. That being said many times I do a Google
Street View of some of the towns I buy a watch from just to see where it was sold from.
Woodstock, Illinois is a cute little town and I must have bookmarked the google street view.
Tonight I clicked on that link and found myself back in Woodstock, Illinois again and I looked
around the town(with Google Street View) and came across this great sign.
It may be closed now but this article is from 2001 Time in his hands - Chicago Tribune

and this from 2019 Bruce Lewellyn, 83 - The Woodstock Independent third owner in 103 years the store was in operation.

Untitlesd.png

Rob

Last edited:

Paul Sullivan

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Massachusetts
Country
Region
Rob, Les,

I also find it a bit fascinating and fun to try to search and find the location of my private labeled watches. In addition to marked watches the Hamilton ledgers offer a multitude of private jewelers who purchased direct from Hamilton in the early years, starting with no. 1 in 1893 and ends with with no. 824700 in 1911, when the ledgers end. Over the years I've been able to find quite a few in online searches and "drop in" to see the town on Google Earth.

Many times, I'm surprised how small these places were back then with so many in the 1890's having a population of 2500 or less, yet having access to the railroads, or at least a "Wells Fargo" wagon ride from one. Now, visiting these same places, some towns have grown and prospered, some were assimilated into larger municipal areas, while many still have about the same population. Then there are those that have a shrinking population and appear in decline. Still, if I can get an address I can see the location and whether original building still survives, torn down and rebuilt, or now just a parking lot, etc.
I've found a jeweler at the same address as the one from earlier, but the building looked to be replaced and the jeweler seemed to have no online presence.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieter Kwak
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions