Marine: Just Arrived

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Barry Armstrong, Sep 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Barry Armstrong

Barry Armstrong Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Great timing. I just open a package delivered by DHL from the Pook & Pook Auction. I won the Hamilton Model 22 Chronometer o:)o:) . Serial Number 2F9049 puts the production date in 1941. It now joins my Hamilton Model 23 and 4992B. Now on the hunt for a Model 21 and a 3992B.

I'll post pictures when I get time to take them. Nutjob

2. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Barry, the date of your 2f9049is 10-1943.

3. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice going Barry, I look forward to the pictures.
    Paul

4. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    As you can see by the number of posts I've made, I'm new at this game. I've used this website to see production information of my watches. Is there a better one?

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/hamilton/2F9049

Thanks for your help.

Barry

5. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Barry, those websites are useful but it's important to understand that they're based on a mix of:
    • Imperfect records that the companies kept or published (e.g., serial number lists);
    • Estimates/guesses/extrapolations made by various collectors at various points of time.
    The quality of the records that survive from different companies is variable (both across companies and across time within the same company), and the quality of the extrapolations also varies as well. So the databases are a starting point, but far from the last word.

In the case of Hamilton, the company's detailed production ledgers survive, the NAWCC Library has them, and they are accessible to NAWCC members. See this page. I'm guessing that's what 179 used to date your Model 22.

6. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Any idea what the Sold to Code represents in the Hamilton Ledger. Beside my serial Number I see 64-12805.

7. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't believe that anyone has found the complete answer to the Hamilton "sold to codes" but the 64 prefix is believed to be a U.S. Government contract. As the Naval Observatory was purchasing chronometers at that time, for military service, that is probably the best answer until more information is found.