Just another 30 hr WW I have obtained

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by gilbert, Jun 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had seen this one some time ago, but finally broke down and bought it today. Far from being perfect with it missing bottom glass, cracked (but firmly in place old top glass), a little missing veneer, and something that bit the feathers on the eagle in a couple place. I think it will run after some new cord and borrowed pendulum bob. We shall see. Not that it necessarily means anything but always perhaps a tad interesting to see something a little odd. In this case the number 55 on white paper in bottom of case in what looks like fat (fountain/quill) writing in what I think is old style numerals with a hook on the loop at bottom of number. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 George Nelson, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    What an amazing find! A truly out of the ordinary case, and an amazing eagle topper!

The label is especially interesting, as it is a misspelling of the true clock makers/retailers: BuMMell & ScovillE, circa late 1830s. The misprinted label was most likely never corrected due to cost, and, if noticed, the printers in these cases would offer a discount rather than a reprint. The Gazette Office printing company was most likely out of the local newspaper printing offices.

The case of your clock exhibits an uncommon combination of carved and stenciled styles, and, while the stenciling has been restored, is very pleasing to the eye.

Your movement seems to be a type 1.123, and of unknown manufacture. Bummell and Scoville were most likely 'assemblers" and retailers, rather than actual manufacturers. This was a common practice at the time, claiming local manufacture in order to circumvent possible tax implications aimed towards out of state imports.

Great acquisition!

George Nelson

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Very nice!

Upstate NY clocks don't show up especially often.

I have not seen that combo of stenciled and carved columns before.

I don't have access to them right now, but I can recommend 2 sources where you will probably find more info.

One is Oechsle and Boyce, "An Empire in Time: Clocks and Clock Makers of Upstate N.Y." which is the definitive work on that topic. The other is Brown and Oechsle, "Good for a Time" which is basically a catalog of the late Chris Brown's extensive ww clock collection which also included many examples of clocks from Upstate NY.

Helen Boyce also wrote a nice article for the Bulletin about Tioga County, NY makers: http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980/articles/1984/228/228_3a.pdf

You will find some interesting info about these 2 there as well a pix of some clocks.

RM

4. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the thoughts and additional info. I hadn't had a clock with carved splat prior and now I do. The stenciled and carved columns I wondered about but in looking around a bit I did see a couple (double door) E Terry & sons pictures of something similar.

5. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, same opinion as RM. I have *NEVER* (until now) seen "half stenciled and half carved" columns on any wooden works clock before. I don't know if I love the combo, but DEFINITELY unusual. A very nice find.

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for those examples. They are similar but not quite like your clock.

A bit different in that the front of the cases of the examples to which you linked were 2 tiered with turned 1/2 columns on the upper, carved 1/2 columns on the lower, with a flat molding clearly separating the tiers and the 1/2 columns.

The stenciled and carved elements of your clock flow into each other with just the 3 rings, which appear to be the top of the carved 1/2 columns, marking the transition.

Finally, both of the clocks linked to are 8 day ww, yours a 30 hour.

Still have to say, then, I haven't quite seen the arrangement in your clock before.

The Upstate NY makers sometimes came up with some rather interesting stuff.

I have seen carved crests with stenciled columns and vice versa.

The linked to clocks and especially yours really mix it up.

Finally, based upon the few sources I have consulted (and no actual encounters with their clocks, unfortunately) report that the production of Bunnell and Scovell was 30 hour 1/2 column and splat clocks. Makes your clock even more interesting.

Should bring it to the Cog Counters picnic in Upstate NY in August? I wonder if it's worth consider sending pictures to Mr. Oechsle? His knowledge of Upstate NY clocks is vast.

RM

7. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let me see what I can do.

8. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, it's not at all the same to have SEPARATE columns stenciled and mixed with carved ones. That is actually fairly common. The other styles are tortoise shell and gilt columns, and they also tend to be seen mixed and matched depending on the clock, but not combined on the same piece of wood.