Just an Elgin

dcjens

Aug 3, 2020
Country
Region
This Elgin 18s stem/ lever grade 70 Raymond followed me home today.
It's missing the crown and stem.
I'd like to obtain the part. I've read for hours (likely in the wrong place) and was hoping to get an assist with part numbers and length.

20220619_105508.jpg 20220619_105619.jpg 20220619_105529.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
The easiest first answer is buy another 18s American case on ebay
and put that movement in.

Edit: but that's not what you asked. I'm sure someone will try and help.

Rob

dcjens

Aug 3, 2020
Country
Region
The easiest first answer is buy another 18s American case on ebay
and put that movement in.

Edit: but that's not what you asked. I'm sure someone will try and help.

Rob
This case is in decent shape. Any ideas are welcomed. I've perused Ebay a little. Thanks Rob!

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Can you ID the case from the info found on the inside of the back cover?

And is there a sleeve present inside the pendant (they're threaded in & have what look like 4 slots around their circumference)?

Knowing the above some of the membership can probably tell you which stem &/or sleeve you need or at least direct you accordingly.

Reactions: Randy Beamer

dcjens

Aug 3, 2020
Country
Region
Can you ID the case from the info found on the inside of the back cover?

And is there a sleeve present inside the pendant (they're threaded in & have what look like 4 slots around their circumference)?

Knowing the above some of the membership can probably tell you which stem &/or sleeve you need or at least direct you accordingly.
20220623_142337.jpg 20220623_142404.jpg

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Looks like a Dueber case then.

The sleeve's in place but I'm wondering whether it is damaged, thus allowing the stem/crown to have been pulled all the way out of the pendant. That sleeve can be removed for inspection using an American-made sleeve wrench for pocket watches or, on an ad hoc basis, a small blade screwdriver could be used albeit a bit of shaping may be required.

Hopefully someone here is sufficiently familiar with 18s Dueber cases that they can assist you in sourcing the stem/sleeve/crown components required.

Reactions: dcjens

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Unfortunately, I think the best way to find a stem, sleeve and crown is to find someone with a giant pile of them to try. Maybe check with your local NAWCC chapter, try www.Daveswatchparts.com, www.pocketwatchcaserepair.com can get.you fixed up, or hopefully someone may contact you through private messages here.

Purchasing random stems on eBay will usually just fill up drawers. There isn't going to be a replacement part to find that is made for this specific case... Its going to be trial and error with different stems, sleeves and crowns.

Reactions: viclip and musicguy

dcjens

Aug 3, 2020
Country
Region
Unfortunately, I think the best way to find a stem, sleeve and crown is to find someone with a giant pile of them to try. Maybe check with your local NAWCC chapter, try www.Daveswatchparts.com, www.pocketwatchcaserepair.com can get.you fixed up, or hopefully someone may contact you through private messages here.

Purchasing random stems on eBay will usually just fill up drawers. There isn't going to be a replacement part to find that is made for this specific case... Its going to be trial and error with different stems, sleeves and crowns.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Rick! I happened to have a Hampden 18 and out of my curiosity I tugged on the stem and it popped out. I inserted in the Elgin and was able to wind it up... and it runs.
To narrow down choices measuring the stem I have that worked seems in order yes?
Thank again for links to possibly find one

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Finding a stem that will fit the movement is easy, finding one that will match the case
is a different story. As Rick said it will take a pile of stems that you would need to sort through
and a functional sleave as well probably.

Rob

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
I have a lot of sleeves but the bottles and menu are long gone. If you need help with the sleeve PM me.
D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner