Just acquired my first W & H clock, and only my second ever, the first was a Sessions Mantel, that was a gift to my son. 2 pictures.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Welcome to the MB, congrats on a nice clock, W&H are a very well regarded maker, oak vs ebonised case.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I like the carved case very much. The clock should give you many years of pleasure and become a family heirloom.

Can we see the movement?

JTD

66dansk

May 16, 2022
Country
Thank you for the greetings. On first examination it looks like a very economical clock made to sell at a low price. Very simple movement and not held together with nuts and bolts. But I am a complete (almost) newby to all this. Was it all painted black over an oak case?

Alex KVASHIN

Jun 20, 2020
Moscow
Country
Nuts was used on later clocks. And movements of w&h are of the highest quality compare to other Germany manufacturers of that time.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
On first examination it looks like a very economical clock made to sell at a low price
Certainly not a cheap clock - Winterhalder & Hofmeier were one of the best makers of their time.

Very simple movement and not held together with nuts and bolts.
As has already been said, nuts and bolts are used on more modern clocks. Pinned shafts are the older method.

Was it all painted black over an oak case?
No, this is how it was made and sold. It is a very nicely carved case, and quite an unusual pattern.

You have a very nice clock, well worth caring for.

It would still be good if we could see the movement (the 'works'), then there might be more information to give.

JTD

66dansk

May 16, 2022
Country
Here are a few pictures of the "works' of my W&H clock, the black one. I was wondering if I should invest in a tool to unwind the spring. Maybe I should experiment on a small patch of the case black paint to see if it is nice red oak under the paint. Thanks for all the help. P1170995.JPG P1170996.JPG P1170997.JPG P1170998.JPG

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Maybe I should experiment on a small patch of the case black paint to see if it is nice red oak under the paint.
The case may have been ebonized by the case maker. If yes, then anything you do to remove the ebony finish, means you lose originality.

The picture you supplied from the auction house is not very good. Please supply clear pictures of the various parts of the case. Perhaps we can determine if your case came from the case maker as ebonized or if it was painted by owner at some point in its life.

Here are a few pictures of the "works'
That appears to be a very good movement.

I was wondering if I should invest in a tool to unwind the spring.
For what reason do you want to let down the spring? Are you experienced in servicing spring driven clocks?

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The case may have been ebonized by the case maker. If yes, then anything you do to remove the ebony finish, means you lose originality.
I was confused by your first post, I thought you had the second clock, with no ebonizing. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Now I see that you are talking about the first photo. I am not sure but I think that these clocks were offered in various finishes, so the ebonized finish may well be original, but, as has been said, better pictures would be a great help.

JTD

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Thank you for the greetings. On first examination it looks like a very economical clock made to sell at a low price. Very simple movement and not held together with nuts and bolts. But I am a complete (almost) newby to all this. Was it all painted black over an oak case?
It is a time only movement so that's as simple as you can get and therefore cost less to make and buy. W&H movements were better made than most and hence command a premium, the case is also very well made.

66dansk

May 16, 2022
Country
It is a time only movement so that's as simple as you can get and therefore cost less to make and buy. W&H movements were better made than most and hence command a premium, the case is also very well made.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
66dansk,

Had you meant to post a message here? If so, it hasn't appeared.

JTD

66dansk

May 16, 2022
Country
I much appreciate the helpful comments by other members. Thank You. I took the "works" out last night and did a bit of a clean-up. Took out some old black oil and gave the bits one small drop of fresh clock oil. Having a problem getting the minute hand back on again, there are two ways to put it on, 50/50 I can get it right. But with only the hour hand attached, started a test... and "Lo & Behold" it has been clicking all night... 10 hours. So my new old clock is working well. Now I will let the test run until it stops. Will it be 8 days?
My first clock was a Sessions Inlay that was from an auction a few years ago and it was running fine so I gave it to my son as he thought that it was a 'terrific' piece of machinery, but he prefers locomotives.

P1180010.JPG P1180006.JPG P1170999.JPG

66dansk

May 16, 2022
Country

The picture you supplied from the auction house is not very good. Please supply clear pictures of the various parts of the case. Perhaps we can determine if your case came from the case maker as ebonized or if it was painted by owner at some point in its life.

That appears to be a very good movement.

For what reason do you want to let down the spring? Are you experienced in servicing spring driven clocks?

Regards.
Totally new to servicing spring driven clocks, so will not attempt to do things that I am not sure of, (I hope)

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Glad to hear it is running though it looks like it could do with a service, it should run for 8 days, maybe more.

66dansk

May 16, 2022
Country
Glad to hear it is running though it looks like it could do with a service, it should run for 8 days, maybe more.
It is still running and quite accurate. I only cleaned out some old black oil residue and dropped a speck of oil on the bits that matter, allthough I did see oil where it should not be. Thank you. I will try to remove some dust that has accumulated on the case since 1880,142 year ago...
dansk66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner