Just a quick query on a wobbly pendulum again

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by NEW65, Jan 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We discussed this issue a while ago now but I just have a couple of questions ... it’s a large heavy pendulum on a Kieninger MSU. It swings almost dead true but on eyeing it from the side there is the slightest of wobble which tbh I’m wondering if it’s okay to leave. I’d say it swings 99% spot on! However I do have OCD! (Which don’t help!)
    I have ensured that the suspension spring fits firmly between the chops at the top. My queries are:
    Has the pendulum got to fit tight onto the leader pendulum?
    And secondly has the top of the leader got to fit relatively tight on the suspension spring?
    I think that things are okay to leave but it’s good to clear up any concerns.
    Cheers chaps.

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    any chance of a you tube video from the side?

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've found that most pendulum wobbles that have no immediately obvious cause are dur to the crutch and the pendulum noy moving in the same plain That is, we assume the crutch is moving parallel to the plate, but if the post that holds the suspension spring and/or the chops when there is a rate adjuster have a slot that's not absolutely perpendicular to the plate it will induce the pendulum to wobble. Loose stuff exacerbates the problem. Sometimes the suspension spring can be at fault even if it looks good. 1% wobble probably won't have a huge effect but you will always know it isn't 100% right.

RC

4. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can check where the fork on the pendulum attaches to the leader, if one side is a little higher and not making a good contact that gives the pendulum a wobble.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Changing the suspension springe is all to easy and will cure about 90% of your pendulum wobble problems. Course, I probably wouldn't even notice a 1% wobble ... Ha. Willie X

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like RC, I would take a hard look at the crutch. It has to be parallel to the floor.

7. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Is the bob hanging true. It might be bent. Just did one where the bob was bent outward by about 1/2 inch. The wobble was very bad. The shipping company bent is when it was packed. Straightened the bob and all was solved. Plus make sure the post on the verge isn't bent, this will cause it to figure 8 on ya.