just a query on using a Mill for fitting bushings

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
I just have a quick question re using a milling machine for rebushing...
I do not own a Milling machine so know little about them apart from the fact that they make a great job IF used correctly.
To all you Mill owners... why does it take longer to rebush using the Mill ? Is the clock plate held similarly to how it is held in a Bushing machine? Why is the bushing machine quicker?? I have been lead to believe that it can take a while to understand how to operate a Mill - is that correct?

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Bushing machine or mill, speed will improve as one understands the advantages and disadvantages of each and gains experience. If one uses a mill in the same way that one uses a bushing machine (tapered cone center finder D type reamers, etc.) it's probably six of one half-dozen of the other. If one takes full advantage of the mill's potential for more precisely locating the bushing and fitting the bushing with precisely sized reamers (as opposed to tapered hand reamers) to ensure a true cylindrical opening and a perfectly straight bushing, then the mill setup would probably take longer. The real question is how long does it take to achieve the same outcome.

RC

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
We have tried to use our Sherline mill for bushing plates. Accuracy is excellent using gauge pins to locate on a hole that needs cutting. I really like using the X-Y feature. The mill does have its place in our shop.

However,,, Posts are always in the way so you need to figure out how to do the ones that the mill won't reach.
The set-up time, back and forth just made me rule out the mill as our standard for bushing work.
Perfecting the art of bushing by hand will carry you further that any machine on the planet. IMHO.

just my 2 cents
johnp

Jeff T

Feb 10, 2018
Country
rc hit the nail on the head , if you have or get a mill the speed will come

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
We have tried to use our Sherline mill for bushing plates. Accuracy is excellent using gauge pins to locate on a hole that needs cutting. I really like using the X-Y feature. The mill does have its place in our shop.

However,,, Posts are always in the way so you need to figure out how to do the ones that the mill won't reach.
The set-up time, back and forth just made me rule out the mill as our standard for bushing work.
Perfecting the art of bushing by hand will carry you further that any machine on the planet. IMHO.

just my 2 cents
johnp
I guess I have not developed that art of hand bushing. I cannot hold the hand tool straight throughout the process. The bushing machine allows me to tighten the plate in a level position and the shaft of the machine allows me to keep a perpendicular position throughout the reaming process. It also allows me to center the new bushing and cut the new hole in the center by nibbling first on the unworn side of the hole. I only use my mill for large holes using an end mill to cut the hole. The mill works great for those but the set-up is slow. I only hand bush holes that have permanent posts etc. in plates that prevent mounting in either the machine or the mill. I have never been able to be as precise using a hand tool as a machine. Speed is important to me because I am a one-man-operation. A crocked bushing = a bind in the train. MHO

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
I have a mill, but never have had a need to replace bushings with it. Seldom have I had to do enough to need the mill. But it's too bad the bushing machines don't allow the gripping capacity of a mill. By that, I mean the x-y travel. Of course, the mill makes this easy. I do agree that using gage pins is a wonderful way to locate holes, and a set for clock size work shouldn't break the bank.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwkneisley
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions