Just a minor Grumble

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
My May-June Bulletin just arrived today, May 16th. A bit stale, but I am beginning to think the electronic online version makes more and more sense....I have not elected to take the first class mail option, but around here it seems to be more no class than first class. Complaints all over....

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I always read the online version around the 1st, when it is posted, but there are always articles that I want to sit down with the hard copy to enjoy and/or absorb. So, although mail delivery is generally delayed, I still can't convince myself to give up the hard copy.

Reactions: Bila

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
I always read the online version around the 1st, when it is posted, but there are always articles that I want to sit down with the hard copy to enjoy and/or absorb. So, although mail delivery is generally delayed, I still can't convince myself to give up the hard copy.

I find that having a book/magazine in hand (the tactile connection) makes me feel good and the absorption of the text meaning is far greater for me this way then reading it form a digital copy. Maybe old school, but somethings are much better the old way:)

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
I agree that hard copy delivers more to me than online versions. For whatever reason it seems to generate a more positive feeling having the hard copy in hand than looking at it on the screen. While there are many advantages to electronic versions, that feel of satisfaction is not there.

Reactions: PatH and Bila

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Like reading the hard copy when in the throne room, if you catch my drift, or lying in bed just before shutting the lights.

Neither experience is the same nor as comfortable with an iPhone or small lap top.

RM

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I agree that hard copy delivers more to me than online versions. For whatever reason it seems to generate a more positive feeling having the hard copy in hand than looking at it on the screen. While there are many advantages to electronic versions, that feel of satisfaction is not there.
I dont get the bulletin, but i get some things from other places, and ive been thinking a lot about what could happen if everything thats online were to go away, be it from a company or a disaster. There would be people without their music, news, and so many other things. In my case, i like music from the B side of records, and unless you know what to look for on music apps, you may never find it, and people that dont have said record, may never know that song at all. I guess being old, we look at things differently and at least me, well i dont trust a lot or things..

Reactions: PatH

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I prefer the printed version for reasons already stated. OK, I am 69 but I still roam the internet, still work for a living in the automotive industry but it is nice to curl up with the printed version at night.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
For me it is about ease of access to information. Which format is more available? Sometimes it is paper, but more often than not it is digital. I'm into the information, not the medium, because the information keeps me learning. And learning, for me, is what keeps me above ground.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
For me it is about ease of access to information. Which format is more available? Sometimes it is paper, but more often than not it is digital. I'm into the information, not the medium, because the information keeps me learning. And learning, for me, is what keeps me above ground.
I have every issue of the Bulletin in my so-called library I maintain on clocks. For the first 35 years or so of my collecting pursuits, I spent a lot of time reading every old bulletin, I have read every one to one degree or another, many several times. Before the electronic/digital versions became available post-it notes and the like marked information of interest. And a good memory was key. But, since the digital online versions became available I never pick the old bulletins up. Easier to find online than remember the article in vol xxx from 1973...and then find it in hard copy. I do continue to use the Supplements in hard copy as they have distilled a lot of good information on several subjects of interest. And of course, the online search of bulletin contents is worth the price of admission, alone. I do find the ease of access is making me a bit lazy, I no longer have to attempt to commit to memory details or where something can be found, etc. Now, what did I have for lunch yesterday?

I have scanned and converted to digital format several of my more used reference books and I am amazed at how much information is included in many of them...information I have not found previously or have overlooked the significance of, or just failed to consider it in the context of my immediate need. (While we must follow copyrights on publications many are old enough to have expired or in some cases the owners of the copyrights have granted approval for scanning of the documents for non-commercial purposes.)

A classic example of digital information available to COG Counters is the over 3000 pages of information on woodworks that have generally not been published elsewhere. A treasure trove of significant proportions. There is discussion afoot about making this information available to NAWCC members via the library, by the way. Not yet agreed to or implemented.

So, hard copies are good, but in the overall gist of things, digital is better when you want or need certain pieces of information and it is much easier to find it that way. And I still like hard copies of the new Bulletins when they come out.

Reactions: Old Rivers and PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner