Junker/Klunker love?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Floyd's Grandson, Mar 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Floyd's Grandson

Floyd's Grandson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have any of you put effort and/or money into a clock you knew wasn’t worth all that much, just because you liked the look of it?

I have an alarm clock that isn’t that valuable, but I like the looks of it and it keeps good time. The original “crystal” was plastic which was severely scratched and actually had a hole in it. I acquired it as part of a lot that I won on eBay. I’m about to replace the damaged crystal with glass.

Just curious if anyone else has ever ventured down this path just because of a natural affinity for a cheap clock. :%

PatH likes this.
  2. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

It happens, of course - it’s all a matter of personal taste and affinity with the piece in question. From a financial point of view, I personally think it important to lose sight of the value of the clock and not put more money than it is worth into it, as that wouldn’t make much sense, but many a time, especially when I started, I spent an immoderate amount of time and effort working on clocks of little value, such as alarm clocks. When it comes to learning about horology, the clocks you wouldn’t think twice about later on are actually valuable stepping stones in the beginning, as you can afford to make mistakes on them.

Regards.

3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Just noticed a typo in my post above - it should read « it is important not to lose sight of the value », obviously. :)

4. Floyd's Grandson

Floyd's Grandson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's exactly it!! It really boils down to what it's worth to me. If I might spend less than $10 to make this clock a worthy piece in my collection (as of now), then so what?

PatH likes this.
  5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    An assigned value is always an arbortrary term, and with the clock market in the dumper, value is now completely one of those 'in the eye of the beholder' things. Nearly all the value (of a clock) is sentimental anyway ... there are a few exceptions, mainly collectables and museum pieces from the distant past. My 2, Willie X