Junk or treasure?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by bikerclockguy, Sep 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bikerclockguy

bikerclockguy Registered User

Jul 22, 2017
    Country Flag:
    View attachment 356007 View attachment 356008

I spotted this in an ad for an estate sale. I think it's gaudy, ugly and a few other things, but I know some of these monstrosities made around the turn of the century are worth big bucks. I couldn't spot a name or trademark on the dial or movement either one, which makes me think "crappy, reproduction copycat clock" On the other hand, from what i can see of the movement, it looks to be old, and the pendulum hanger doesn't have that "cheap clock" look. Also, the bracing holding the ornamentation looks too heavy to be very recent. Is it worth a closer look?

2. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Not junk at all, a nice late 19th C French countwheel clock in a spelter case. They arent worth huge amounts of money but would definitely have some value. They have very high quality movements with glass hard (read easily breakable) pivots

That one looks to have the makers name on the back of the movement in the little circle

Its desperate for a clean and service! Should have a bell, but those are easy to find. The case back legs look decidedly wonky lol

3. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take off the dial and you might find something. What does it say on the back of the case?

4. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    cannot see picture