Junghans

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
What year would this have been produced? Serial number is 23727 marked on the plate and the pendulum.

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Jim, yours was made about 1909 based on the serial number. This is the most common of the Junghans 400-Day clocks. They used the same movement for all of them to the best of my knowledge, and made a total of around 12,000 clocks from around 1907 to 1914. The serial numbering seems to have started at 21001, since only one prototype example has been found so far with a number lower than this. The highest number recorded to date is 32813.

They also put the movement in some elegant oak or mahogany 4-glass cases as well as a number of other cases including solid brass, etc. Some have very large dials up to 6 inches Ø, and the last ones made had porcelain dials and a 3-Ball pendulum not seen with any other clock. I'm attaching some photos, the last one is with the 3-Ball pendulum. Les mentioned the governor style pendulum without the rating arc, those have been seen generally with lower serial number clocks. I looked through my files but couldn't find a photo, will post later.

Attachments

kepiting1sg

Jun 19, 2006
Country
Les mentioned the governor style pendulum without the rating arc, those have been seen generally with lower serial number clocks. I looked through my files but couldn't find a photo, will post later.
Hello John,

I have the one without the rating arc or "scale"
on the pendulum Serial # 22076.

81.jpg 82.jpg 83.jpg

Last edited:

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
KP, thanks for posting! Very nice example, what is the backplate number from the Repair Guide? Is there a serial number on the pendulum?

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
Since this thread has evolved into different models of Junghans 400 day clocks, I am attaching a picture of a clock with a pendulum that is not listed in the Repair guide. Anybody else own or have seen such a clock? The SN is 33204 and has backplate #1625.

I am also adding a scan of the 1910 Junghans French catalogue which has Model 6518 Année and clearly shows the governor style pendulum without the rating arc.

Vic

Attachments

kepiting1sg

Jun 19, 2006
Country
Since this thread has evolved into different models of Junghans 400 day clocks, I am attaching a picture of a clock with a pendulum that is not listed in the Repair guide. Anybody else own or have seen such a clock? The SN is 33204 and has backplate #1625.

I am also adding a scan of the 1910 Junghans French catalogue which has Model 6518 Année and clearly shows the governor style pendulum without the rating arc.

Vic
Hi Vic,

The pendulum on your unknown Junghans looks pretty unique.
I've the same clock i.e with the same dial and back plate 1625
but with the 3 balls serial #31971

KP Seah

Attachments

kepiting1sg

Jun 19, 2006
Country
KP, thanks for posting! Very nice example, what is the backplate number from the Repair Guide? Is there a serial number on the pendulum?
Hello John,

It's plate 1625 and scribbled on the bottom of the pendulum is 22076
same as the serial # on the back plate.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region

Vic
Vic, good stuff! I've not seen either the pendulum or the dial before. Also, this is now the highest serial number in the database so it was one of the last ones made.

There appear to be four of the curled arms on the pendulum, is that correct? Also, are these arms bimetallic? That could give some temperature compensating action if they were brass on the underside and steel on top. If they don't have that configuration then they would actually be working against compensation since they would expand outward to slow the clock at the same time that higher temperatures would also be slowing the clock if it had a steel suspension spring. I need to dig into the records to see if Junghans had a compensating pendulum patent in the 1912+ period, the DRGM's we have compiled so far don't show that they do.

Thanks for the catalog scan. This identical clock lithograph and model number are also in the Daniel Pratt's Son August 1911 catalog, page 46.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hi Vic,

The pendulum on your unknown Junghans looks pretty unique. I've the same clock i.e. with the same dial and back plate 1625 but with the 3 balls serial #31971.

KP Seah
KP, thanks for posting! OK, now the second time I've seen this dial. Interesting that it is in among the group of clocks with round porcelain dials that have the same pendulum.

I notice there is a retailer's name and address on the dial. Could you post what it says or even better a closeup photo? Too fuzzy to read in the pic you now have posted.

Last edited:

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
There appear to be four of the curled arms on the pendulum, is that correct? Also, are these arms bimetallic?
John,

I am attaching a detailed picture of the pendulum. The four “curled arms” are not bi-metallic, they are all brass. Also attaching a scan from the 1911 Junghans catalogue (courtesy of Dr. Bernhard Huber & Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chronometrie) which shows 4 models, #6878 Cromwell, #6879 Stuart, #6894 Anjou and the standard model #6518.

Vic

Attachments

kepiting1sg

Jun 19, 2006
Country
KP, thanks for posting! OK, now the second time I've seen this dial. Interesting that it is in among the group of clocks with round porcelain dials that have the same pendulum.

I notice there is a retailer's name and address on the dial. Could you post what it says or even better a closeup photo? Too fuzzy to read in the pic you now have posted.
Hello John,

The printed words are a little smudgy.
To me it read like

A. Pannaman
46 Mark Lane
ECB or EC3

Hope you can tell me more about this retailer!:p

Attachments

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
KP, I think the code is EC3 after going to high resolution. I don't know this retailer but someone may be able to look them up in U.K. records.

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
John,

I am attaching a detailed picture of the pendulum. The four “curled arms” are not bi-metallic, they are all brass. Also attaching a scan from the 1911 Junghans catalogue (courtesy of Dr. Bernhard Huber & Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chronometrie) which shows 4 models, #6878 Cromwell, #6879 Stuart, #6894 Anjou and the standard model #6518.

Vic
Vic, amazing pendulum! The curled arms are just there for decoration, and I've not seen anything like the rate adjusting mechanism. This makes me even more determined to dig out what we can find in the patent archives.

Also thanks for the catalog photo page. I've seen all four of these, but never had any names attached to them. Were there other 400-Day clocks in that catalog? It certainly would be interesting to see them!

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
standardtwin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool