Help Junghans strike mystery

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
Hello

I have a Junghans Vienna with a count wheel strike train.

There is a problem with the counting of one of the hours as they skip ahead.

Looking at the action, every hour and half hour Warns, Strikes, and Locks correctly – except for one.

Only the 2 o’clock hour strike rotation does not lock. It runs on to the next ½ hour.

Looking at the count lever, it falls into the deep notch and then pops right back up until the next turn of the ….. when it locks. The drop lever is in the notch in the cam. Everything is where it should be.

23 ½ warning/strike/lock sequences are in sync, and working perfectly with only one failing,
I don’t want to bend or move anything and risk throwing something else out of whack .

See pix (sorry for the dust)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks.
c.

eagle5.jpg inset.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
If you polished the side of the countwheel tooth the lever drops against. By the looks it is after 2 O'clock. Then it may perform better? However it is also true that this is usually the weakest point in the count wheel system and the drop and lock should be perfect or this is where the problem will show.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If your count hook it touching the side of the notch, you could try filing that side just a little. If it's not touching, then you might have to make it deeper. When only one point on the wheel gives you trouble, it's probably the wheel itself.

clarke

Oct 25, 2009
Hermosa Beach, CA
Country
Problem solved (I think/hope):
Thanks for your replies.
I said I didn't want to bend anything as it might throw other hours out of whack.
Shutterbug made the point clearer by simply saying: "When only one point on the wheel gives you trouble, it's probably the wheel itself."
So I took his advice and took a fine file and took a hair off the back edge of the one and two hour high points on the count wheel. Now there's clearance for the count lever to fall far enough for the lock lever to engage the locking pin (I hope I got those terms correct).
Anyway, thank you for your advice.
c.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Glad you got it sorted, Clarke. The wheel may have gotten bumped at some point in it's life, or may have always been an issue. Either way, it's good now. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
36Colors
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre