Junghans/Sheffield Astro-Chron World Clock - Need advice to get it running

msommo34

Oct 5, 2022
Country
Hello All,
Was advised to check in here to try and help answer some of the questions I've had regarding a Junghans/Sheffield Astro-Chron World Shelf Clock.
The link at the bottom is my original post looking to gather information. Pictures and a number of links are in there.

There was no battery in there when I opened this up. Put in a D battery and there is a little metal disk (please forgive my ignorance of all things clock related) that starts to shake and shimmy, but that is all it does. Please see attached quick video for reference.
The hands do not move, but I can hear a little rhythmic clicking when the battery is in there.
I take the battery out quickly, not wanting to hurt anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try to do to get this running or where to try and get this repaired (I live in Long Island, NY).

Thank you very much in advance for any information you may be able to offer.
20221006_202208.jpg 20221006_202707.jpg 20221006_202752.jpg 20221006_202814.jpg

Attachments

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I'm not seeing it in this photo. Later Junghans clocks based on this balance wheel movement, had a slot drive on the balance staff which drove an escape wheel. Somehow, the impulse has to get from the balance to the wheel train. There should be something visible which actuates the motion of the wheel train from the electronic impulse via the spinning balance wheel. Try to get some photos of that please?
By what I am referring to, please check the photos in this post and others in this thread. https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/the-be...ulum-drive-that-i-have-seen.94334/post-710854

In your video, what is the mass of coiled up wire or hair near where the hairspring is pinned:

Last edited:

msommo34

Oct 5, 2022
Country
I'm not seeing it in this photo. Later Junghans clocks based on this balance wheel movement, had a slot drive on the balance staff which drove an escape wheel. Somehow, the impulse has to get from the balance to the wheel train. There should be something visible which actuates the motion of the wheel train from the electronic impulse via the spinning balance wheel. Try to get some photos of that please?
By what I am referring to, please check the photos in this post and others in this thread. https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/the-be...ulum-drive-that-i-have-seen.94334/post-710854

In your video, what is the mass of coiled up wire or hair near where the hairspring is pinned:
Hi Roughbarked, will check into this tonight after I get home. There is no hair in there, it must be wires. Barely a speck of dust.Thank you for the response!

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
I have an old ATO movement very much like this - but with no quartz regulation.
As stated above it looks like the balance wheel is doing it's thing, but not interfacing with the gear train.
I can see the saw toothed "escape wheel" behind the balance wheel in one photo.
You should look for what is / isn't going on in the circled area.
Is the brass collar the arrow points to supposed to drive the escape wheel?

quartz.JPG

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
Here's a video of how an ATO movement balance wheel drives the gear train.

Attachments

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent