• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Junghans pivot hole damage

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
Starting on this project and I knew that this had been cracked by a previous repairer. Looked worse on the inside of the plate after disassembling. Not sure the best route to go with it. This is the pivot hole for the wheel that drives the escape wheel. I have included several pics of the same pivot hole, one with the wheel in it. Any thoughts on what to do with it?

IMG_4815.JPG IMG_4816.JPG IMG_4818.JPG IMG_4819.JPG

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Nice mess! Before repairing this, is the depthing correct as it is now? Looks like perhaps the position of the existing bushing may be off. Are you looking for an invisible repair or a functional repair? What first comes to my mind would be to mill (or file) the inside of that peninsula to about1/2 thickness and solder a flat piece of brass on the inside. Shape it to match the original profile, then drill through the remains of the bushing and ream for a new bushing with a slightly larger OD. There is not a great deal load on this part.

RC

Reactions: CJo

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
First thing I would do would be to use the ole preacher, so you will be able to relocate that pivot point. Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A good torch guy (jeweler) can build that peninsula back up. I would make it a little bigger than it is now and loose the old bushing before commencing with the metal work. Tell him/her not to worry about the thickness,you can work down the thickness as necessary. Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think I would remove the bushing to eliminate the pressure on the crack, the clean the part well spread the crack enough to slip in a small flattened piece of solder and solder it together. Then establish center again and rebush it. As RC said, there's not a lot of pressure on that part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennifer123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller