Junghans Napoleon Hat Mantel Nightmare

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by KBwindup, Feb 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KBwindup

KBwindup Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi all
    First I d better explain, the only reason I think it a Junghans is that there 'J 2. 3' stamped on the top of the hammer stand (see photo) .
    I assumed it was a run of the mill 30's or 40's clock but when I started working on the movement everything I touched either bent or broke ( small exaggeration ) It has some kind of alloy mainspring drums, very weak front plate and very light stamped metal motion works.
    I m wondering does anyone have any idea what decade it comes from? I m now guessing 60' it 70's but could be way off.
    Has anyone had the misfortune to have worked on one of these before ?
    Thanking you in advance
    Eamonn

20200212_173825.jpg 20200212_173949.jpg 20200212_171330.jpg 20200212_152526.jpg 20200212_152458.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll move this over the clock general forum for more input.

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most likely made during the 1920's-1930's going by the case style and cost-cutting movement outline. It has to be remembered that even renowned makers such as Junghans produced lower quality clocks, the ultimate way to keep prices down and sales up for customers who just wanted a clock for the lowest price. Not everything old is gold.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had one come through my shop several years ago. I cursed it every day i worked on it, so junky. I was never so happy to see it go back to its owner.

5. KBwindup

KBwindup Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Your not wrong there Kevin, I be VERY cautious if I come across one again, probably much more trouble than it's worth.

6. KBwindup

KBwindup Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Do you reckon its definitely a Junghans? It suppose it's very likely. I thought it might be a later clock also because the numerals on the dial are a type of plastic attached to the dial plate.
    Eamonn

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thught it was a newer movement, a while back someone posted it before, same movement, made in earlier times around 1930,s. I bushed every hole i think in this one, and i never will do another one. Its so cheaply made.

8. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a Junghans, just not one of their better products. Junghans is one of those companies that covered both sides of the quality spectrum: their best clocks are some of the finest out there, their cheap clocks are among the worst things ever made.

9. KBwindup

KBwindup Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that, looks like I ve found one of the lowest ends of the market in this one, at least its not mine. I think I d better be a bit more diplomatic with the poor owner though.
    thanks again.

10. KBwindup

KBwindup Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Kevin, good to know an approx age. Its amazing that such a rubbish movement could survive so long!!!

Kevin W. likes this.