Junghans K C Westminster Repair

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dave T, Sep 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay,
    Here's what I see. I took the wheel off but it's still doing the same thing as in the video. The chime won't stop and as the maintenance cam makes one revolution, the wheel on the strike side releases the stop pin, makes one revolution and comes to rest again against the stop pin.
    Time to review time and strike procedure. I don't work on enough of these to remember how it goes!

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I've answered my #1 Question. Yes it does have a Junghans that's almost the same but not quite. It has the autocorrect chime adjustment, and mine does not.
    I Just received that book, read it thoroughly, and I'm still unable to determine how to proceed. He states that the chime warning wheel has to be in the 8 o'clock position, and begins at 6 o'clock.
    I don't know if my movement would be the same.
    I'm sure, (as usual) it's some little thing but for the life of me I can't figure this one out.
    Right now the clock begins to chime at the quarter hours, (any quarter hour) but continues to chime and will not stop. I've got the warning pin aligned, (I think) to enable the chime lever to stop it, but it immediately raises back up and the clock continues to chime.
    Here's the movement: It's very similar to the Arch Top as presented in the repair tips, but not quite.
    This clock might drive me to drinking!
    Junghans K C clock 15.jpg

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, in case anyone's still following this.... I did correct the strike problem. It wouldn't stop striking. So, I adjusted the stop lever and that corrected the strike side.
    The chime side is still causing issues. It goes into warning on each quarter hour, then proceeds to chime the quarter hour, but it won't stop chiming until I move the hand toward the next quarter hour.
    Consequently, I can't determine where the rest point is on the warning wheel in order to set it to the proper position. (According to Conover, assuming my clock is like his example that's almost the same) the warning wheel needs to be at rest with the pin in the 8 o'clock position.
    If anyone knows about this movement, I'm desperate to hear from them.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not familiar with that movement, but all chimers act pretty much the same. Two things have to happen. At warning, a stop pin is encountered to hold the chime in abeyance until the lift lever drops. Your movement does not seem to be stopping at the warn, and therefore you need to look for the stop pin either being in the wrong position to encounter the stop lever, the stop pin being broken off, or the stop lever broken or misshaped.

5. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #55 Dave T, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Thanks Shut, appreciate you looking at this.
    My clock is stopping at the warn, but it only does that when I advance the minute hand to get the chime to stop (from the previous quarter hour). Since the main problem, (I think) is that the chime won't ever stop chiming.
    The more I study it, I think the problem is that the chime lock pin won't stay in the locking cam. That's the part I can't understand.
    What I'm thinking is that if I can somehow determine how to get the warning wheel in the 8 o'clock position with the locking pin in the locking cam, it might fix it.
    As I advance the minute hand it goes into warn about 5 minutes before the quarter hour, and then starts to chime at the quarter hour. It just won't stop.

6. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Think I've got it resolved!
    The chime stop lever was not seated completely on the arbor. And the warning pin was not catching when the lever dropped into the cam. I had looked at this several times, but didn't think it was a problem. Finally removed the timing cam (again) as suggested by Shutterbug.
    And observed it until I finally saw the problem. Reamed out the hole in the assembly so it would fit far enough back on the arbor, and this corrected the problem.
    What was confusing me was the Conover book example describing the warning at rest at 8 o'clock. My clock is not like that one. And doesn't operate the same way.!!
    As usual the simplest solution is always not so obvious. This clock is still like no other Junghans I've found.
    Thanks to Shutterbug and all who tolerated my pestering.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad you got it sorted, Dave! It's always better to be able to observe what's happening than to try to figure it out from descriptions. Good job!

8. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, After I determined the problem I realized it would be very difficult for anyone to help me analyze this without seeing it.
    Just finished putting it back in the case. She's purring nicely.

I read a lot about how difficult these are, but see that this clock isn't that daunting, once you understand how it works.
    I was trying to make it fit the pattern of the closest movement I can find, which is detailed in Conover's Chime Clock Repair. IT DOESN'T.
    It's rather easy to take apart because the mainsprings all come out separately and can be reinstalled after the trains are assembled. It's also very well made and is easier to work on that the cheaper stuff. We all know how that goes.
    Don't have a picture of it with the movement reinstalled, but here's how the case cleaned up.
    Junghans K C clock before and after.jpg

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looks great!