Junghans Joker! Setting up the alarm the correct way?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ericturco, Nov 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ericturco

ericturco Registered User

Oct 6, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi Guys,

I have just acquired this nice little Joker but do not know how to set up the musical alarm.
    It definitely plays and works when I move the alarm setting knob around the clock BUT It just happens randomly. How do I correctly set that up? For example if I want the alarm to go off at 8.00 AM? How do I set it?

1.jpeg

3.jpeg 3.jpeg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    You may need to uncase it and remove the hands and reset them. If this doesn't help you may need to examine the alarm triggering and adjust that.
    If the alarm clicks at the correct positioning of hands but plays music anywhere around the dial, it is most likely the start stop lever to the music box.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I don'r fully understand your question. What you should be able to do, in order for the alarm to go off at 8.00, is to turn the alarm setting knob so that the hand on the little sub-dial points to 8. Then, when the clock shows 8.00 the alarm should go off. Are you saying this doesn't happen?

If you set the alarm hand, when does the alarm sound, if not at the time you set it? And roughbarked may well be right with his thoughts about the stop lever.

But I may be missing something, as the situation you describe is not quite clear to me.

JTD

4. ericturco

Oct 6, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi, Thank you. That is for fixing it, yes. BUT I think everything is in order already actually my problem is simple, I do not even know how to actually -set- the alarm:???: How can I do it? There is no manual, no video, so I am not sure how do I simply set it to go off at 8.00 am :) I bring the small knob to 8 am And then then what?

5. ericturco

Oct 6, 2015
    Country Flag:
    O I see now. Yes it does not really go off at 8.00 even though I put the small knob to 8.00am. So something must be off as the roughbarked noted. It goes off at a different hour.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    There is nothing else to do. As I explained in my post, you set the small alarm hand to the time you want the alarm to go off and wait for the clock to reach that time. Then the alarm should automatically ring.

JTD

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If you set it at 8, when does it ring?

JTD

8. ericturco

Oct 6, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Rings at 1pm :(

9. ericturco

Oct 6, 2015
    Country Flag:
    I will take a video tonight

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Uhralt, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Just re-position the hour hand to 8 (taking it off and putting it back on). BTW, this kind of clock doesn't know if it is 8 AM or 8 PM. The music would sound in the evening or morning. If you want it to play in the morning you need to wind the alarm side in the evening, after 8 PM. But be warned, there is no way to stop the music once it started, it will play until the spring has run down, and that's for a long time.

Perhaps it is easier for you to reposition the alarm indicator hand rather than the hour hand. For this, using the set knob at the back of the movement, turn the minute hand clockwise until you hear the "click" that would trigger the alarm. Then pull the alarm indicator hand off (it pulls straight out when you grip it at the center with the nails of your thumb and index finger). Put the indicator hand back on in the position that the time shows. Good luck with this.

Uhralt

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    The answer is, that the hands are out of synch . The hour and minute hand need to come off and then use the alarm setting knob to set the alarm hand on six. Then wind the hand setting knob with the alarm on off button set at off. when the hour wheel and the alarm notch line up, you'll hear a click and if you can see it the hour wheel will do a little jump. This is when you put the hands back on at six. Why six? Because most people want the alarm to wake them in the morning and six will line the hands up best for that.

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think the Joker has an alarm on/off button. At least mine hasn't and never had one.

Uhralt

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    OK. So you have one of these?

14. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I do. The music plays about 5 minutes on a full wind and cannot be stopped by an on/off button or lever.

Uhralt

15. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Well my instructions still work without the on/off switch. ;)
    If the hands are out of synch they can only be removed and replaced in the correct position if the alarm is to ring at the desired set time.