• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Junghans. Hammer or no hammer ?

S1ider

May 10, 2012
Peterborough UK
Country
Region
Im currently doing a Junghans 1923 Westminster clock. The chime block has space for another bar, but i believe this is probably a generic part for Junghans and all blocks of this type have the same amount of holes depending on type of movement whether they are all used or not. My main thought is, is there a hammer missing ? This is on the strike side not the chimes. I would have thought it would only strike on three of the bars like it currently does. But why wouldnt the hammers be together ? It strikes on the longest 3 bars (lowest notes). Has anybody seen this model before to help confirm ?

100_9033.jpg 100_9075.jpg 100_9076.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think you'd be able to see where the missing one broke off, if it were ever there :)

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
the tune of Westminster consists-musicaly speaking- besides the ground tone of thirds,quarts and quints,the strike accord has three notes,the ground,third and quint;the quart is dissonant,therefor left out of the strike accord.HTH
Burkhard

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The Junghans Rohr-Gong was usually tapped for 5 rods, but some only had 4 - instead of a 5th rod for the hour chord, a coiled Cathedral Gong struck the hours.
Then you have others with 4 rods alone, striking the hours on 3 rods - this could be due to the clock being a cheaper model to save on costs, or just done on request for some outlet that didn't desire the 4 rod chord and 5 rods. Whatever the reason, your clock is just fine the way it is. Don't modify it. o:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-