Junghans clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Paul NG, Sep 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul NG

Paul NG Registered User

Sep 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Paul NG, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    I purchased this Junghans clock recently. Have spent many, many hours searching for a model name/approximate date of manufacture - without success. Would appreciate any assistance. Thank you!

42199178_1852989584808253_4114198801185505280_n.jpg View attachment 494602 42094476_1811348638985780_8078974131070042112_n.jpg

claussclocks likes this.
  2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wellcome to this message board! Your clock looks like a verry clean example from the 30ies;please show the back plate of the movement, Junghans used to mark their clocks with a year code and a calibre number.A good quality clock to start collecting with,congrats!
    Burkhard

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul, welcome to the board.

In addition to Burkhard's response, the style of your clock is commonly known as a box clock.

Your clock is time and strike ("T&S"), meaning that it strikes the hours (i.e., 8 strikes for 8:00).

Regards.

Paul NG likes this.
  4. Paul NG

Paul NG Registered User

Sep 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that information. Attaching photo of back plate....I hope it's clear enough to see any code/number.

IMG_4957.JPG

5. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 new2clocks, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Paul,

Your Junghans was manufactured in November, 1924, according to the Junghans date code chart compiled by a member of the board - any400day.

Regards.

EDIT: the code 42 11 has not been documented by any400day. For the year 1924, only A24, B24 along with A42 and B42 date codes have been documented.

I should have stated that your movement "APPEARS" to be manufactured in November of 1924.

Although 42 11 is not documented, the year 1924 would be reasonable for the style of clock. Others may have a different opinion.

Regards.

6. Paul NG

Paul NG Registered User

Sep 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ...did they have model names...? If so, where might I find that. Thank you so very much for the date information...I greatly appreciate your help. Best wishes, Paul.

7. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul,

I am not aware of Junghans (or any German manufacturer) giving their clocks model names as the U.S. manufacturers, such as Ansonia did with the Gonfalon or the Crown.

However, someone with a Junghans catalog may be able to provide you with a model number.

Regards.

8. Paul NG

Paul NG Registered User

Sep 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I had not seen model names on any of the Junghan clocks I had seen online, so had guessed that they may not have used them. Thank you once again for all your help. Best wishes, Paul

9. Paul NG

Paul NG Registered User

Sep 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ....update on this clock. I have managed to get the clock to run, but the spring that powers the chime is either broken or has come unattached. I have had two estimates to have the movement repaired - one was $3500-$4500, which seemed way too high, and one for $1000 - which seemed low in comparison. As I can afford neither one anyway, what are my options? I have found a replacement movement online for $245, but it has eight hammers, whereas mine has four. Is it likely that I will find the correct replacement movement or should I just settle for a chimeless clock..?! Thanks

gunther1.jpg gunther2.jpg

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Both repair quotes are far above the value of the clock and are tantamount to highway robbery. Someone seems to be wanting to make his next house note payment or college tuition payment on the strength of your clock. I also would not go the replacement route with the movement you found since it is not appropriate for your clock. Use the link below to find NAWCC chapters in your state. Get in touch with the persons listed and see if you can get some reasonable recommendations.

https://nawcc.org/index.php/chapter-information/find-a-chapter-near-you

11. Paul NG

Paul NG Registered User

Sep 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that information, I will seek advice as you suggest.

12. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do not have access to any catalogues but I remember this being posted on a Junghans thread some time ago. Junghans named some of their clocks.

Ron

Crispi.jpg

13. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That wasn't an estimate that was theft.

Dave T likes this.
  14. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2014
    San Francisco
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh shoot, 25 years ago took a gingerbread clock to a 'clock repair' person that an acquaintance told me about. He charged me $50 to reset the strike. It was striking the hours on the half and striking once on the hour. He took the clock into a back room of his house and returned a few minutes later with the clock striking as it should. I was so impressed that I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

15. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I might have charged you if it had been a call to YOUR house for gas and time but I would consider resetting the strike for a customer who comes to me just - good customer relations. I grimace frequently at people who charge over $100 for what they call a clean, oil, and adjust which amounts to blowing the black out from around pivot holes, wiping the plates, and adding oil and call that cleaning a clock. They are just delaying the inevitable and possibly doing more damage to the clock movement.