junghans chime clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by itbme1987, Mar 12, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. itbme1987

itbme1987 Registered User

May 18, 2008
    Full time college student
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was wondering how hard are the junhans chime clock movements, the big kind found in bracket clocks that have the adjustment for the time and chime on the dial? I was in an antique store the other day and the owner asked me if i would work on one he has in the shop. My chime clock experience has been a couple of hermles. Thank you

2. al_taka

al_taka Registered User

Feb 13, 2006
    ClockSmith Jefferson ClockWorks
    Maspeth, Queens NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Before disassembly I would get as famillar as possible with its function and auto correct features which are different than Hermle's. Steve Conover's book on chiming clocks covers a couple of Junghans movements and helped me through a couple of the rough spots. Remember there are no spare parts availible as there are for hermles. Charge twice as much. Do to its age don't be surprised if you see many other repairs that you'll have to re-do.

I had one of these that required the chime block be removed a special way before the movement gets removed. Look for a small hole in the bottom of the clock and feed through the longest chime rod about 2 inches. Then the chime block comes easily out the back.

This is the type of movment that begs to be polished so it looks beautiful in the case. Charge extra for that.

Good Luck
    Al

3. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    I would heartily second all that Al said, and add, be careful about adjusting the chiming and strike hammers. On the ones I have worked on, the ratio of hammer length to tail length makes adjustment a little tricky, because the tails are so short, and so close to the pivot point. A very little change in the lift at the tail goes a long, long way at the hammer end.

4. itbme1987

itbme1987 Registered User

May 18, 2008
    Full time college student
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for the input, i went and picked it up today, i also have connovers book on chime clocks and after looking at the movement it seems pretty straight forward. The movement is a B11