Junghans bezel latch

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello,

Not sure where this post should go, maybe the Case section is better? Anyway, there is probably more "traffic" here.

This is a Junghans mantle clock with a push button on the outside that looks like it once released the bezel latch. However, the post that is soldered onto the edge of the bezel doesn't even reach the spring loaded release. The post has a slit and has been bent so that friction on the edges of the case hole keep the bezel closed. So, presently, it works. However, that makes the push button superfluous. I would like to restore it back to something that makes the push button relevant.

Does anyone know what the original likely looked like?

My first thought was that the bezel post should be longer and have a notch that catches the spring loaded bar on the inside. Pressing the button would then release the post from the bar and allow the bezel to be opened. On closing, there would be that satisfying click as the post notch slid into the bar.

Am I on the right track? P1020792.JPG P1020793.JPG P1020794.JPG P1020795.JPG Opinions, ideas are welcome.

Jim

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Rockin Ronnie,

Unfortunately, I have a duplicate of this thread going and no moderator has amalgamated them. I wish I had seen your post earlier.

I have the same dial and bezel as yours. I should be doing what you have but I have already cut off the "bad" one and soldered in a curved piece of brass that I am going to bevel and notch to fit. So, I would have to undo what I have to solder in a straight post that has the end rounded off and the notch turned in a lathe, which I can do. It would be tough to get the notch in the right place using your post style so I think I will go with my curved post and file a flat bevel and notch to fit without disturbing my soldering. The reason for the curve in my brass post is given in the duplicate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller