IBM Junghans ATO clock missing battery compartment

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Picked this up recently and is missing the battery holder and maybe more, but am unsure. I tried to connect the wires to a 1.5 volt battery by hand, or finger, using pressure but did not run. My question is is this all the clock needs, a 1.5 battery holder connection or is there more here that I am missing, which would not suprise me. If all it needs is a battery holder, which of the leads go to what part of the holder? I included a photo of the movement, hope it comes out ok, had to resize the image. Thanks for any help with this.

Attachments

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The yellow wire emerging through the hole to the rear of the support is correct. The other wire is a "suspicious impostor." Normally there's another wire to connect to the dry cell emerging from the left solenoid. (the right solenoid is a "dummy" damping ring)

There are several style configurations for the Junghans ATO dry contact switching battery clocks. Electrically they're very simple consisting of the left solenoid coil, the battery holder and the dry contacts on the movement.

One of the two solenoid coil wires should connect to the dry cell, the other may be internally "grounded" or connected to the framework or it may be threaded upward behind the bracket and connected to the stud holding the movement.

You should look underneath the base for another wire emerging from the left solenoid.

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Here are three more photos to maybe give some clarity. A closeup of where the "suspicious imposter" is connected to. Also included is a photo of the bottom, does not look like any wires were underneath. Would still like to know what connections go where regarding a new battery holder.

Attachments

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
It looks like the wire from the contact has been replaced.
There seem to be two wires
from the coil. One should connect to the case while
the other should be only connected inside the coil.
You might first check with an ohm meter. Measure from
the contact wire to the metal frame. Move the pendulum
back and forth. You should see the contact close with
almost no resistance ( less than 5 or 10 ohms ). When not
closed, it should be infinite.
Next measure the coil side. I don't know but it would most
likely be in the 100 to 300 ohm range.
Tinker Dwight

Last edited:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I believe your Junghans ATO weak current battery clock is missing the battery holder which should be underneath the base. The holder is the "T" shaped bracket held in place with two small screws and a thumb-screw in the long slot.

Timesavers and other suppliers may have a replacement dry cell of 1.5 volts.

Note also that the left solenoid coil should have a DC resistance of from 1500 to 2000 Ohms....most are marked inside. In your earlier photos the solenoid coil wires are shown. One is normally connected to the framework, the other to the dry cell, and a single wire from the movement contact holder plate connects to the other pole of the dry cell. This arrangement puts the dry cell in the circuit very briefly when the moving contact on the movement touches the two tiny gold tipped flat brass contact pair.

In the photos below, pay no attention to the make-do battery holder...it's my own substitute arrangement with my own wiring.

Attachments

Last edited:

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I bought one of these two weeks ago, and am waiting for the battery from timesavers. I hooked it up with a D 1.5 volt battery and a rubber band, leveled it and off it took. Neat facsinating clock I was wondering what the T looking thing underneath it was for, thanks for solving the mystery. Now I know where to store the battery, if it ever gets here.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Russ, it can use 4, but warns that other similar packs may be wired in series and will add the voltage of each battery, making the output 6 volts. These holders can be found cheaper when sourced from electronic specialty companies. Check Mouser, or even Radio Shack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derek
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa