Junghans ATO clock Battery help

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by EmmaR, Jul 31, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

hi everyone.
    I picked up a junghans clock for service yesterday. I held a 1.5v torch battery on the wires, balanced it up, and away it went. It needs a clean. The battery box, however is missing, and I have never seen a clock quite like this one. I wonder if anyone has any idea what was on this clock, or an idea for replacement?

I will post some pics, and hope someone can help..

*EMMA*

Attached Files:

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Your Junghans ATO battery clock has a "U" shaped bracket behind to secure a rectangular shaped 1-1/2 volt dry cell having spring or screw terminals atop. Such are rarely available today.

Meadows & Passmore or other clock parts supplier may have an alternate dry cell available or your could try Maplin or other electronics shop for a "D" size flashlight cell holder to be improvised into a holder and disguised to resemble an original Varta or other trade-name le Clanche cell.

Too, your clock really needs a glass dome to protect the delicate motion works from dust.

3. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

It does have a dome.. I left that with the customer.. thanks for your information. wonder how old this is, too.

*EMMA*

4. eskmill

eskmill Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Emma wonders how old the clock is. I do too and from what I have learned about the age of these and similar brass and glass cased Junghans-ATO battery clocks is scant.

According to researcher Michael Viredaz, Junghans was offering a battery clock designed by ATO as early as 1930 but not in the brass and glass case; more likely as a wood cased wall clock.

I strongly believe that your example and similar in brass and glass cases by Junghans were made for export during the efforts to rebuild German industry after WWII, likely early in the 1950's and later.

I have a parts catalog of 1957 illustrating the Junghans ATO battery clock in a rectangular brass bound glass case but it is an early version with the dial printed on the class.

5. DC Kelley

DC Kelley Registered User

Mar 16, 2006
    Regarding the original metal can that covered the battery, I can post a picture in a week or so but is it a simple folded brass can of sheet stock slightly higher then the small rails you see in the back and generally square in aspect ratio. The battery the originally was fitted to it is different than what you will find on Kundo and others.

Sorry I don't have a pic, the metal stock is 0.030 thick and 1.6 deep, 2.2 wide and 6.2 high (all inches) if you care to fabricate one. The case also has some "air vents" stamped in the back side in the form of a slotted circle design. There is a small "hold down" of metal spot welded on the inside to secure the battery and one center on the back to hold it in place to be base. Someone with a metal brake from the local shop class could make one. The battery cheater that Timesaver sells for Kundos is too big here, just go and get a cheap plastic one from the local hardware store and it fits in the above fine.

I can not see from your picture, but the early models of this clock had a separate second hand driven off the second wheel, the latter models do not have this feature. This was not carried over to the Kundos, the pendulum period whas shortened and the gearing was lost. If I had to pick a date, I would guess early 50's, very late 40's

6. parkbankhorology

parkbankhorology New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Hi. I have recently purchased a similar ATO clock, again without the battery box. I plan to fabricate one. Were you able to send a photo to the previous correspondent, as it would be a great help to me, too. Many thanks

7. parkbankhorology

Sep 27, 2007
    Hi. I have recently purchased a similar ATO clock, again without the battery box. I plan to fabricate one. Were you able to send a photo to the previous correspondent, as it would be a great help to me, too. Many thanks, Bill

8. I was wondering if you ever got an answer to this question. I received the 1st two attached pictures from a gentleman in Germany. As you can see the battery case is a nice brass housing. The 3rd picture is of my ATO showing the battery I purchased from Timesavers; page 144 of the 2008 catalog.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

Attached Files:

9. Well, the pictures did not come out in the order the instructions for posting pictures say they will. The 1st noted above are actually #1 & #3 in the posted order.

10. parkbankhorology

Sep 27, 2007
    Paul
    Thanks very much for these photos. I now have sufficient information to make a new battery box for my ATO clock.
    Best wishes, Bill

11. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

Thanks Paul.. wonder where you get a Battery like that?

*EM*

12. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User

Aug 21, 2001
    In the response it clearly stated the battery came from Timesavers.

13. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

DUH!

*EM*

14. EM:

Would you know if it is possible to get the dial restored on this type of clock? In my bone-headed naivete I tried to clean mine with dishwashing detergent. When I did the markings began to wash off & I lost some of the numerials. See pic...:bang: didn't think it was water soluble. I found a replacement dial on ebay but was outbid for it. It went for more than I think the clock is worth. I would like to get this restored if possible.

Thanks.

Paul

15. when I tried to add pics things went into digital LaLa Land...

16. well folks... I tried twice to attach pics but both times I got booted out of the NAWCC site. Sorry, no pics.

Paul

17. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Friends
    Do You know where to get this beautyfull battery-housing?
    I have a Junghans ATO with a chrome bound glas case with
    the numders printed on the inside.If I had this I could have it chromed.
    Thanks for any hint
    Burkhard

18. rl64tx

rl64tx Registered User

Aug 12, 2007
    Hi folks! I purchased the exact same clock at a garage sale for 3 bucks! Does anybody know where to get a coil for this clock? The wire leading to the battery from the coil was broke off. The numbering on the coil is nr 51 2000 ohm 1.5v. Thanks, Ralph. BTW..it came with the battery cover and a D cell battery..i know it should have a dry cell battery from timesavers.

19. eskmill

eskmill Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Remove the solenoid assembly from the clock and disassemble the soleniod. The coil is usually wound on a wooden spool inside the brass housing.

You should see two wires emerging from the coil. One leads to the contacts along side the movement. The other wire connects to the dry cell.

You should be able to splice on a lead very carefully or have someone gifted at small electronics solder on a new lead. It takes care.

Replacement coils are not available except from salvage.

You can purchase a dry cell from Timesavers or others but a good 1.5 Volt alkaline cell should run the Junghans battery clock for about two years.

20. rl64tx

rl64tx Registered User

Aug 12, 2007
    Thank you sir! A little to technical for me...so
    I'll probably just sell it for parts... Thanks, Ralph.

21. David Robertson

David Robertson Registered User

Jan 6, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  22. RL...if you want to sell it for parts I am interested. I specifically need a dial but who knows what else might be useful. Email;

pd.morrow@verizon.net

I am in the DFW airport area of north Texas.
    Thanks.
    Paul

23. Pfottler

Pfottler New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    My first time at this site. I have an identical Junghans however mine is wired for two AA 1.5 volt batteries and it was done at the factory and not as an add on so mine is probably a lot newer. The batteries are arranged vertically with the two + terminals hooked together and the two - terminals hooked together. There is one wire leading from the plus terminals into the coil. My clock is missing a globe-any sources you might know of?. I made a layout of the clock and it appears that a 6 1/4" x 10" globe will work.

24. fixoclock

fixoclock Registered User

Aug 29, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Re: Junghans ATO clock coil

Re: RL64TX query about the Junghans ATO coil 2000 ohms.

I have found that quite often the open circuit in these coils is right down at the bottom of the winding. The soldered joint between the leader wire and the actual coil wire is deep down at the inner spool and the flux used to aid the soldering, or the small plastic insulator used to cover that joint, actually eats away the fine coper wire and the circuit is lost.
    I have recently rewound two of these coils using 0.07mm enamelled copper wire. A coil resistance of 2000 +/- 5% will operate the clock just fine. To achieve this resistance approximately 450 metres of 0.07 mm wire is required to be would onto the spool. One has to take notice of the direction of the winding as this controls the polarity of the coil.

Lindsay Bramall.:cool:

25. crazysmom

crazysmom New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Thank you so much for the tip about the Timesavers.

My Dad brought home one of these clocks from Germany. He was stationed there in the Army after the war.

The clocks current battery is in a box that says it can be replaced with a Horolovar #3 or #10. But I think this battery is just a rig because inside the cardboard box is an old Duracell Akaline "D" battery that looks like the connections were soldered on.

Funny thing is Dad said the clocked stopped working decades ago, and that he could never find a battery. He gave it to my sister and she said the same thing. She gave it to us about 6 months ago. My husband leveled it and started the pendulum and it kept time up until a couple days ago. That's when he started in investigate and found the battery and sent me on an Internet search.

I now have this on my Christmas list.

26. eskmill

eskmill Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The Junghans ATO battery clock runs fine on 1-1/2 volts DC. That's what they were designed to operate on.....and for a long, long time usually even continuing to operate after the old dry cell begins to deteriorate physically.

The old original German zinc-carbon dry cells had a different form factor than the cylindrical flashlight cells but produce the same voltage and last well past their shelf life.

The DuraCell and other steel clad alkaline "D" cells work well too....maybe even better as far as the working life goes but...and it's a big but. The steel jacket on the alkaline cells is magnetic and interferes with the magnetics of the clock which affects the rate of the clock.

When a older zinc-carbon drycell is replaced with the steel jacketed alkaline dry cell, the slow-fast adjustment may be way off and require some careful fiddling with the slow-fast regulating nut to return to good timekeeping.

27. crazysmom

crazysmom New Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Well thank you!

I had not thought of that.

Since this is a family "heirloom", I will probably buy that correct battery even though it is expensive.

Do you think these batteries will continue to be made?

Barb

28. robb257731

robb257731 New Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Hi All,
    I've got a Junghans ATO clock that's running quite fast. How do I slow it down?

29. KingJoe

KingJoe New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I have that version.... Square glass box to cover the workings.... Battery in rear covered by a brass box about 6" x 2" x 1.5"

Battery is missing.... In process of trying to locate a replacement battery....

30. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joe
    That looks like mine. I did have the original plastic battery casing and the remains on the label, so I made a new label and used 4 x AA cells in parallel inside it.

The clock also had a leaky capacitor in the electronics bit.

Attached Files:

31. pastenseverb

pastenseverb New Member

Sep 15, 2010
    ok, that's nice but I thought a better option was just to go to radio shack and get a battery holder for a standard AA battery and keep it under tyhe base where it was originally. I held it in place with some HVAC rubber hose. It worked great.

32. antiekeradio

antiekeradio Registered User

Mar 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    some ATO's have the rectangular battery box in plain sight behind the main pillar / movement support, above the base

not a good plan to put a AA battery holder there. At least not without a rectangular cardboard box with the above print on it :)

33. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    @ mike:
    if you like to correct the German part...
    Regards,
    Frank

Attached Files:

34. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Search is your friend.

Have a look at mine here.

35. jamesstuart

jamesstuart New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Retired
    Kettering, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have bought one of these same clocks and am now repairing it. I temporarily installed a D cell battery holder. The problem I am having now is the pawl that rides on the gear and bumps the contact is not returning to the gear. I am cleaning and lubricating but I think the minute coil spring may be weak.
    AS for the age of this clock see the history web site xxx
    It infers that Junghans went to an electronic circuit to sense the inductive pulse and a relay to energize the coil to kick the pendulum right after WWII. I will be researching the clock and if you like I will share my findings. I am a librarian now and research is my thing. I did see Timesavers has a battery which will fit nicely it is 1 1/2x 1 1/2 x 4 if I remember in Part 3 page 136 part # 10603.
    I specialize in repairing anniversary clocks preferably Kundos.
    James