ATO Junghans ATO battery clock

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
This is my first time posting in the electric forum. A friend of mine is downsizing to a smaller house and is selling off some of his collection. I'm really more into clocks in the 200 year old range, but this one looked interesting. It uses a special 1 1/2 volt battery, naturally, the battery was deader than a beaver hat. (The battery is available from Timesavers for $24 plus shipping). As an experiment I ordered a D cell battery holder from Amazon (package of 4 for $6, next day delivery!) The single D cell fits nicely in the battery enclosure and the clock runs very well -- I have its timekeeping regulated and it seems to be a good timekeeper. The dome is not original, but it fits well enough to suit me.
I have a Kundo and a Poole domed electrics, so I guess one could say I have a collection of battery clocks.
Ray Rice

PA160020.JPG PA160017.JPG

Reactions: etmb61

Toughtool

Aug 12, 2016
Panama City, FL
Country
Nice clock indeed! I like your idea for a battery upgrade, especially if it requires no modification to the clock. How about a photo? $24.00 per battery seems a little high to me.

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Toughtool, here is a picture of the original battery, the unmodified battery enclosure , and the D cell holder.
Ray Rice

PA170003.JPG PA170001.JPG PA170002.JPG

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
a good quality , nice and collectable clock,congrats! Please show some pics of the movement/the "works"
Burkhard

The lions roar

New User
Mar 4, 2021
Country
Toughtool, here is a picture of the original battery, the unmodified battery enclosure , and the D cell holder.
Ray Rice

View attachment 617469 View attachment 617470 View attachment 617471
I have the same clock only gutted, do you have a photo of what and how the battery ties together?
Battery is unavailable and I am trying to restore for a friend. Is there any after market kit that I can use to restore it. The s/n is 513397, any idea what year it would be.
Thanks for any assistance
Ken

Attachments

Stefan lavriv

Oct 30, 2020
Country
Region
I Have a Kundo clock with a big rectangular battery like this one. Again timesavers are selling this battery for $30.5 It is too expensive. I guess the sale of these batteries is very low. I replaced the battery with a "C" size battery since the space left empty at the bottom of the clock is big enough to fit the "C" size battery holder and the battery itself. The battery is running for a month now. Kundo Battery2.jpg Kundo Battery1.jpg Kundo Battery3.jpg
The Battery holder purchased on Amazon, although e-Bay has it too.
Kundo Battery4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-