Junghans A05 chimes too long

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
Hello my name is David Cogburn I am new here. My father recently passes and he had some antique German clocks he brought back after the war. I am trying to help my mother fix up and sell these clocks. I'm working on a Junghans A05 double chime that chimes too long. The clock chimes every 15 mins. The clock chimes continuously for 9 or 10 min until it starts to engage the pin for the next sequence. I believe I may not have the top gear on the front timed correctly (see 1st pic with arrow). I would appreciate any tip and or advice on this. I've attached some pics that you can look at. I am by no means a clockmaker but I have been a tool and die make / machinist for over 25 years. Also if anyone could tell me the value and the best way to sell this clock I would greatly appreciate it.

AO5 #1.jpg AO5 #2.jpg AO5 #3.jpg AO5 #4.jpg AO5 #5.jpg AO5 #6.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Welcome, David. It is very difficult to see the details of the movement in your first two photos. Please light the movement so shadows are not there and post a clear photo of the movement. You have a German free swinger clock but the value could be better determined if we knew the maker. There should be a logo or numbers on the rear of the movement, so post a clear close-up of the back.
Will

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The issue you are having in not related to the area where the arrow is. More likely the area up to the left of that area, where the rack falls onto the snail where the arrow is. The rack has a "gathering pallet" that pulls the rack back up one tooth at a time. Something is wrong there, or with the stop pin. The gathering pallet might be loose, and not gathering the rack properly.
By the way, you have a clock that strikes, not chimes. Chiming clocks play a tune before striking the number of the hour.

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
David,
I would also like to welcome you to the forum.
What we can say, at this point in time, is that your movement was made by Junghans in the 1st half of 1905, based on your description ("Junghans A05"). As Will has mentioned, please post some clear pictures of both the front and back of the movement as very possibly more information can be provided, as well as potentially resolving the strike issue you mentioned and addressed by SB.
Royce

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Search google for 'art nuvoeau junghans freeswinger clock' you can add sales and the like if you wish, this should give a few results and what the market is paying at the moment.
A video posted on you tube with the movement working will help us see what may be the issue.

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
Thank you to everyone who replied, I didn't realize I would get so much response, in the future I will check this post daily although I only get to the clocks once or twice a week. I was using my tablet and it doesn't take the best photos , I took these with my phone.I hope they are better. I agree something is wrong with in the gathering pallet area. It goes up one tooth at a time but doesn't reset?. It doesn't seem too loose, I haven't taken this apart but I did have the gears off c/t the arrow in the first pics. I now know it strikes(thank you SB). Let me know if you need pics of anything else. Also I looked for videos but only find with 1strike not 2. I appreciate your efforts and patience, I'm learning on the fly. David

20210310_233942.jpg 20210310_230719_resized.jpg 20210310_230725_resized.jpg 20210310_230730_resized.jpg 20210310_231124_resized.jpg 20210310_231140_resized.jpg

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The lever under the gathering pallet should drop under the rack after all the teeth have been gathered. That initiates the stop function. Is it doing that? Can you describe in more detail what you see happening?

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
Yes the lever drops under the rack but it doesn't seem to stop. I will try to post a video of it . Unfortunately I won't be able to go back until next week around tues or weds. The clocks are at my mother's house and I just work on them in my spare time thanks David

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
I wanted to thank everyone who posted on here for their help. It turns out the stop lever had worked itself loose from the shaft it is on. It's working good now, I was fixated on the gear that controls because that was something I had taken off, after reading you're post the answer became obvious to me. Thanks again and I will be posting more again soon. David

Reactions: shutterbug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cspeed8
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff