French Jules platform with helical hairspring

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by michael-35, Apr 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. michael-35

michael-35 Registered User

May 4, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I've found on the forum a thread where was cited the Jules platform. I've a interesting carriage clock with this kind of platform and escapement and I'd like to have more info about Jules, because even after a deep research on internet I've not understood who he is.
    The plate is marked Caully Jeune from St. Nicholas d’Alliermont as maker of the blanch roulant, I assume.

Thank you and regards

cappuccina_6.JPG cappuccina_meccanica_5.jpg cappuccina_1.JPG cappuccina_meccanica_1.jpg

2. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    The Allix & Bonnert book on the History of Carriage Clocks is the best English source for information on this type of clock. It is probably the best source for information on the French clock movement industry.

Ralph

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a very nice carriage clock. The book Ralph refers to lists Jules as one of the earlier carriage clock names with examples seen with locking plate striking, helical balance spring and signed on the backplate JULES PARIS dated circa 1840. It includes illustrations of Jules' clocks and platform escapement. Sadly there is next to nothing on the man himself. Perhaps Tardy might.

There is no mention of a Caully Jeune in the index or the list of makers in A&B's book.

4. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Can you check if the name is Cailly rather than Caully? I have seen other clocks by this maker, but they are not common. You have a great carriage clock there, as you say it has a Jules type platform, named as such by Allix, I think, because he saw more of them on clocks with the name Jules on than on others, although they certainly can be found on clocks by Bolviller, Beguin, Henry Marc, Auguste, Lucien and others.

it is very difficult to find any information on Jules, or for that matter Lucien or Auguste. These were common first names, but very uncommon as surnames. They do not appear, as far as I can see, in any clock makers directories, nor in any advertising I have been able to find. If anyone has information on these other than the descriptions in Allix and Roberts books, I would love to know more.

here are two of mine with Jules escapements

C696ED44-30B8-43E3-B1B3-6E895D30C7FB.jpeg

5. michael-35

michael-35 Registered User

May 4, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you both for the informations.

First: yes it's mine mistake. It's Cailly from St. Nicholas d’Alliermont, now just I don't know who specific in the family tree is cited as "Jeune", because I've seen on internet some are marked the elder. So, his is son of... they were too many.
    About Jules in Tardy there is Zéphirin (Chantilly, 1850), but I've googled and found nothing.

Thank also for the suggestion of the book, I'd buy it. I have just the italian book by Luigi Pippa.

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Michael, there is an online special interest NAWCC chapter specific to Carriage Clocks. It is Chapter #195.

Regards, Ralph

michael-35 likes this.
  7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a thought, Leigh Extence, a member of the forum, may be of further help.

8. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the information on Zéphirin, although being based in Chantilly I doubt that this would be the Jules who made the escapements (although you never know), and at least it confirms there were makers of that name active at the time - my copy of Tardy is with my brother, and difficult to access at the moment.

The Carriage Clock book by Allix is the best for technical details, the one by Roberts is better for photos.

That book by Pippa is hard to get hold of, and I've been looking for a copy for some time... If you know someone who has one to sell, I'd be interested!

9. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    What is the name of the book by pippa?

Thanks, Ralph

10. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    The book is by Lodovico Magistretti and Luigi Pippa. It is in Italian, and is called
    I Ritmi del tempo. Storia ed evoluzione della Pendulette de voyage

11. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to keep my eye out for a copy.

Another good book, which is actually a catalog, is the Christies catalog on Eugene Antellis Collection.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0516/08/dr-eugene-rose-antelis-collection_1_14366f31508370f08708bbbc74e373fc.jpg

Ralph