Jules Jurgenson's Automatic Date

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
My experience with collecting wristwatches is quite limited. Recently I worked on a 17 jewels, date/automatic, Jules Jurgenson, H86506-2782, housed in an original case named Jurgentron 141619. Would like to identify this watch better. See its pictures. My guess is that it was made in late 50'. All information and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

RonD.

Jun 21, 2005
With those hands, my guess would be late 1960s. I don't think the hands would be straight and square if it was from the 1950s.

Ron

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Thanks are due to RonD for his kind correction of my guesstimate of the likely period of this watch manufacturing. If the watch is only about 50 years old, the respective technical catalogues should still be not too difficult to find. Any hints how to search for them? Is the Swiss Corporation 'Jules Jurgenson' providing such information on line?

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Jerzy,

Like most other formerly great watchmaking houses, the Jules Jurgenson name has been licensed to others since the late 1950s, and is currently owned by Mort Clayman, an American distributor. Since that time (and for some time before) they were importing good quality watches based upon nice Swiss made movements.

Though I can't be positive without seeing the balance assembly of your movement, I believe that you will find that it's an ETA ebauche, likely a 2772 or one of it's many variants. You may find the ETA shield (it's usually under the balance on the pillar plate) or the four digit caliber number may be stamped on the movement. Yours is nicely finished, as is typical for Jules Jurgenson, and should make a nice gold watch to wear when it's detailed a bit. This would also be in line with Ron's date estimate, as the 2772 movement was introduced in 1969, I believe.

If you can identify the caliber, ETA provides lots of technical data online.

Regards,

Cary

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Cary,

Many thanks for your kind information. I really needed it, as I am relatively newbie in the field of wrist watches. My original horological collecting interest was (and still is) in English 18th and early 19th century pocket watches. Only 10-15 years ago I started to collect other pocket watches. But wrist watches appeared in my sphere of interest quite recently - one or two years ago. Following your instructions I found that this watch is of ETA caliber 2782. Below the ETA shield there is a monogram: MJ. Could it be identified?
Regards,

Jerzy

Attachments

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Cary,
My follow-up search on-line for the ETA technical documents was not successful at all. I have received the reply: 'No technical documents are currently available for the chosen caliber'. What should be my next step in this research?
Regards,
Jerzy

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Jerzy,

I have not been able to find any online documentation either, which is a bit surprising.

The German firm Boley offers a wide selection of technical data sheets in PDF format at their website www.Boley.de, but my command of German is not sufficient for me to find them.

I'll keep looking. It might help to look for earlier versions of the movement. According to Dr. Ranfft's " Pink Page for the 2782", the base autowind movement in this series is the 2770.

Regards,

Cary

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Cary,

Thank you for your reference to the Boley and Ranff's sites. The first one is new for me. With my very rusty German (I learned the language some seventy years ago)I found that it didn't contain the sought information. However, I may be wrong. The site itself is very interesting and I plan to return to it at some other occasion. I was familiar with Ranff's site and used it effectively some years ago for another search. Now I blame my age for not looking first to this excellent source of information. I think that what I found over there is sufficient for my needs. Your help was very important for me in this search and I really appreciate it very much.

With best regards,

Jerzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellywiglesworth10@gmail.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-