• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Jugendstil clocks anyone have info/history on them?

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
Hi all,
I just bought this Jugenstil brass art nouveau clock for my wife for Mother's Day.
I looked on the WWW with no success, and on this site there was very little other than the mention of that name in two posts.

Any history of this company/importer, or idea about this clock's date etc. would be appreciated.
Ron

Full front cropped.jpg

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Re: Jugenstil clocks anyone have info/history on them?

Jugendstil is the German term for Art Nouveau, which is a decorative style common in the 1890-1910 period. Is the clock marked with that name?

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region

Thank you for the explanation about the name Jeremy.

I can't say about the markings yet. The clock is supposed to arrive on May 2nd.....I will hopefully be able to answer your question then.

According to the pics on the listing, there are no apparent markings on the exterior of the clock including the movement cover, dial etc.

The ebay seller just said it was a Jugenstil Clock made in Germany.
Ron

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country

When the clock arrives, have a look at the movement and see if there is any name or logo on the back plate (I know the listing says there aren't but you never know!). Even if there is nothing, post a photo of the movement and it might be possible to identify it.

Pleas note also that the word is Jugendstil, not Jugenstil, as Jeremy has said. Getting the spelling right will help you with any further searches you make and might account for you not finding much.

JTD

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region

don't expect too much:movements like Yours were made in their zillions by different german- and other- makers over a long period of time.Other firms cast the statues and put things together.So You might get a clue about the maker but the chances are verry low that You can nail down a date of manufacture.
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hi all,
I just bought this Jugenstil brass art nouveau clock for my wife for Mother's Day.
I looked on the WWW with no success, and on this site there was very little other than the mention of that name in two posts.

Any history of this company/importer, or idea about this clock's date etc. would be appreciated.
Ron

268566.jpg
I'm not sure you clock is old.

The dial looks modern and I suspect the movement is quartz with a seconds hand.

The case is a rather poor quality casting.

I wonder if asiatisch possibly Chinesisch rather than Jugendstil?

You will be able to determine when it arrives.

RM

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well done RM, I hadn't noticed the almost invisible seconds hand. I agree, quartz and modern.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I've just found what i believe to be the same clock on E-Bay. What we saw isn't a seconds hand, it is an alarm clock movement and that is the setting hand! It seems to have a miniature brand new alarm clock movement, but it is mechanical (wind-up) and not quartz.

If I did find the same E-Bay posting, it also says that although the alarm 'works fine, the clock does not wind up'.

JTD

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A common rear wind alarm I was guessing. Style was popular in the 1920s and 30s.# Class would be 'novelty' clock.
Thats what I think.
Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Might be something new from China ... a good photo of the movement will tell the tale.
Willie X

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
I've just found what i believe to be the same clock on E-Bay. What we saw isn't a seconds hand, it is an alarm clock movement and that is the setting hand! It seems to have a miniature brand new alarm clock movement, but it is mechanical (wind-up) and not quartz.

If I did find the same E-Bay posting, it also says that although the alarm 'works fine, the clock does not wind up'.

JTD

That doesn't sound like the same clock, but I would sure be interested in taking a look at that one to see how it compares & what info is given on it! could you post the url on here to help me find it?
Ron

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
As an advisement, we will not be posting links to active eBay auctions or discussing them. This kind of stuff can be taken care of through PM. Closed auctions, where the item has sold, are allowed.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
This is the clock I found (the auction has closed on 13th March):
USA E-Bay # 391398155221 (listed as 'Art Nouveau Lady Jugendstil Brass Clock' in the 'completed listings' section).

Hope you can find it now.

JTD

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
As an advisement, we will not be posting links to active eBay auctions or discussing them. This kind of stuff can be taken care of through PM. Closed auctions, where the item has sold, are allowed.

Sorry about that Steven et al, I wasn't aware of this rule, but will avoid asking for such in the future........Thanks for letting me know.
Ron

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It's alright in this case, because this was a closed auction - see the e-bay number above.

JTD

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
IMG_3655.jpg
IMG_3658.jpg
I can find no identifying lettering or numbers etc. stamped anywhere on the clock or movement, only this (trademark?), & the letter B, engraved on the rear of the movement.
Any of you familiar with a trademark, or whatever it is, like this?
Ron

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well, now we know it is an alarm clock, like the one found on E-Bay. The scratched-on letter B is just something an assembler or repairman put on - not anything to do with the maker's name.

The little stamped trade mark is niggling me, I feel sure I have seen it before but I can't remember where. I'll keep looking but someone else may recognise it quickly.

JTD

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
Does this look like a German movement, to those of you who are monitoring this thread, or Asiatic as suggested in some comments above?
Ron

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
For myself I don't think it is Asiatic. I believe it is European, I think German. It's modern, whatever it is. I am still looking for that little mark......I'm sure I've seen it before.

I'm still looking....

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have found the note I was looking for. I think this is one of the marks of Carl Engelkemper & Co, in Münster (Germany). I am not sure that they make their own movements or whether they buy them in marked with their logo (or maybe a bit of both).

The company is still in business and you could enquire with them about the alarm clock movement you have.

Hope this helps.

JTD

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
I have found the note I was looking for. I think this is one of the marks of Carl Engelkemper & Co, in Münster (Germany). I am not sure that they make their own movements or whether they buy them in marked with their logo (or maybe a bit of both).

The company is still in business and you could enquire with them about the alarm clock movement you have.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Thank you a bunch! I will see if I can connect with them.
Ronm

mountaintimer

Jan 25, 2015
Humboldt Arizona
Country
Region
I had no luck in contacting Carl Engelkemper & Co.
I wish I knew enough about these little movements to attempt to rebuild this one. I may just pack it away for some future day when I am more able.
Ron

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Do you mean you couldn't find their e-mail address or that they didn't answer (in which case maybe you could give them a bit longer)? If you need their address it is: info@engelkemper.de

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radome
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-