• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

JUF lunar Louvre clock i just purchased

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
I read all the threads on this clock including Mr.Hubby's usual learned information.

I got the clock yesterday and i'm posting the pictures after i just cleaned away the dust and grime with baby wipes.
It is totally unrestored and the base has been painted in this ghastly fake gold metallic paint. Or maybe it's real gilding ??
Have a look and I appreciate any of your comments / opinions.
Rotation on the pendulum is easily over 360 degrees, maybe 370 or 380 degrees.
No dome for it unfortunately. Will have to get one from somewhere.

Should i touch the clockwork or leave it be once it's working fine ?

Patrick

IMG_20201125_092849.jpg IMG_20201125_092521.jpg IMG_20201125_092717_1.jpg IMG_20201125_092809.jpg IMG_20201125_092402.jpg IMG_20201125_092435.jpg

Reactions: etmb61

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
I have the same model, but mine does not have the correct top. I would think the base is painted on yours, but should come off easily. It is a matter of taste, but for a long time I felt if I only had to adjust the beat, I left it in its natural patina and if I had to take it apart I cleaned and polished. I now like to clean them, but still have many in their natural aged glory, including my JUF lunar. Nice example BTW.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Even if your not going to polish it I like to clean the movements rotating parts and spring. As you said it was dirty and that grit is likely in the pivots.

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Thanks to both.

That paint has to come off, so no option left but to polish all the brass after doing the base.

Re dirt in the clockworks, well i've done a few of the usual movements, but i'm a bit wary of taking this clock apart because i have no idea how the escapement and fork mechanism works.
If someone took it apart, then i'd appreciate some direction.

In the meantime followed one thread that tackled the purchase of a glass dome for it. Strange size but i need to get it.

Patrick

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Very nice early example. The trim ring at the top of the base was gilt brass so don't polish that. The rest of the clock should be just brass except for the drum around the movement which is brass plated steel.

Here are some pictures of my clock's movement:

The escapement has pin pallets. The fork just drive the crutch. I'm curious to see if your clock has a brass pinion on the 2nd wheel like mine does.

The dome you need is 5.25" x 14". Charles Terwilliger called it rare to fine one of these clocks with a dome in both of his 1979 and 86 silent auction catalogs. I'm looking for one too so if you find a source let us know!

Eric

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Thank you for all the info Eric.
I think even the top of the finial has been gilded.
I'll post pics of the clockwork once i take it apart, which won't be now.
Tried two sources already for the dome. No luck yet.
Will let you know if i find something.

Patrick