• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

JUF angel for my collection

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
Just bought this one, not cheap, but a sensible price.

Plate1047, but with the letter G in the bottom left corner, serial no.51718, nothing on the pendulum except repairer's mark and date.

Hope to post better pictures when I have good natural light. 74795.jpg 74796.jpg 74797.jpg

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Les, very nice! Based on the serial number my present data set indicates 1907 manufacturing year. Could be earlier, I'm working to figure out why there are almost no JUF clocks show up with serial numbers below 50,000.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's my favorite 400 day for looks! I'm jealous :)

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
At last some daylight for photographing. I've since cleaned the base and pendulum and changed the suspension spring, seems plenty of go in it, no stickiness in the mainspring, so I haven't done the movement yet. 75065.jpg 75066.jpg 75067.jpg 75068.jpg

Ulan

Oct 5, 2010
Poland
zegarkiclub.pl
Country
Hi,
Excellent shape, I have not seen some similar before.
BTW the pillars and the crown - do you think it was done by JUF or later by some regional craftsman/workshop?

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
The base, pillars and crown are well documented. They were almost certainly made by an independent supplier, who supplied JUF, Kienzle, Wurth and maybe others. It is almost certainly original to the clock.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Ulan;503331 said:
Hi,
Excellent shape, I have not seen some similar before.
BTW the pillars and the crown - do you think it was done by JUF or later by some regional craftsman/workshop?
Ulan, as Les points out this particular design was made by a third party and sold to several makers. There are at least four distinct designs being the Caryatid (this one), the Ram, the Swan, and the Wheat Stalk. The first of these I have documented appear in 1902 on an Andreas Huber "Patent Angemeldet" back plate clock. Following that they are found with clocks having movements made by Würth, Ph. Hauck, Jahresuhren-Fabrik, and Kienzle. They appear throughout the period between 1902 and the beginning of WWI.