• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Joyce 8" drop dial gallery clock for LMS railway

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
This is a very unusual little clock. A gallery clock because it is wound and set from the back, which is unusual for an 8" and a drop dial. The backbox only has access through a back door with a lock, though the surround can be removed by removing the pegs. No bottom or side doors. Case and surround are oak. The curve bottom cut from a single piece.

The bezel has no lock, but is secured shut with two screws.

The movement is chain not gut. It has a number on the front plate 318, which is also stamped on the back of the dial.

The case has a brass plate bearing LMS 9827.

The National Railway Museum at York keeps records from the various railway companies. LMS records are not as complete as Southern but not bad, and fortunately this one does have a record. The card shows it was at Llangollen railway station until the mid 70s when it was scrapped, which just means sold off. It was replaced with a quartz clock.

I have asked Llangollen historical socierty if they have any pictures of the clock in situ. It was, presumably, somewhere accessible to the public with the rear access from an office, so perhaps in the ticket hall.

I have written to Smiths, who own Joyce, to see if they have any records.

It would be interesting to know if there were others made like this.

I have wanted a Joyce for a while, I thought it would be nice as it is my Mum's first name. I have bid on one or two but been outbid.

This one came up the week my Mum died of Covid so I went for it. The chap who is the expert on railway clocks says he knew of the clock from a long time ago, probably when it first came on the market, but he has never seen another like it.

joyce 6.jpg joyce 5.jpg joyce 4.jpg joyce 3.jpg joyce 2.jpg joyce 1.jpg

rgmt79

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic. London, UK
Country
Region
Whitchurch is a town in Shropshire close to the Welsh border. I assume that is where Joyce was located? Nice clock with an interesting history. Please let us know if you get more info from the Llangollen History Society.

I assume the small dial on the back enabled them to adjust the clock without having to remove the front, not seen that before.

Richard

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Yes, Joyce were in Whitchurch until 2012, they were absorbed by Smiths of Derby.

The building where this was made is now an auction house, sadly Smiths have replied saying that they do not have records for the smaller clocks, only the turret clocks.

The rear set and wind is why I called it a gallery clock, but it is far too small to mount on a gallery, it is a very unusual clock for the combination of being a small drop dial and also being rear wind and set. Gallery clocks are usually bigger and not drop dial.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This is a very unusual little clock. A gallery clock because it is wound and set from the back, which is unusual for an 8" and a drop dial. The backbox only has access through a back door with a lock, though the surround can be removed by removing the pegs. No bottom or side doors. Case and surround are oak. The curve bottom cut from a single piece.

The bezel has no lock, but is secured shut with two screws.

The movement is chain not gut. It has a number on the front plate 318, which is also stamped on the back of the dial.

The case has a brass plate bearing LMS 9827.

The National Railway Museum at York keeps records from the various railway companies. LMS records are not as complete as Southern but not bad, and fortunately this one does have a record. The card shows it was at Llangollen railway station until the mid 70s when it was scrapped, which just means sold off. It was replaced with a quartz clock.

I have asked Llangollen historical socierty if they have any pictures of the clock in situ. It was, presumably, somewhere accessible to the public with the rear access from an office, so perhaps in the ticket hall.

I have written to Smiths, who own Joyce, to see if they have any records.

It would be interesting to know if there were others made like this.

I have wanted a Joyce for a while, I thought it would be nice as it is my Mum's first name. I have bid on one or two but been outbid.

This one came up the week my Mum died of Covid so I went for it. The chap who is the expert on railway clocks says he knew of the clock from a long time ago, probably when it first came on the market, but he has never seen another like it.

View attachment 689990 View attachment 689991 View attachment 689992 View attachment 689993 View attachment 689994 View attachment 689995
Gosh.

My condolences on the loss of your mother!

RM

Reactions: novicetimekeeper

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
That is a cool little clock. I have never seen one like it, it looks very well taken care of, hard to believe that it is so small. Please post a pic of it in situ if they can find one, that would be fun to see. Sorry to hear of your mom's passing, that is a life changing event. Hopefully this clock will be a reminder of better times.

Will

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
It turned up today, I already have a space for it so hopefully put it up tomorrow. Your clock turned up today too.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Now on the wall. has a retaining screw missing for the hour hand so can't set it to the same time as the others. One sub 8" missing from this wall hopefully finished soon. I blame Bruce Linde he said I could get more on here.

20220115_174925.jpg 20220115_174818.jpg 20220115_174907.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynetx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller