Josiah Emery No. 590

aucaj

Feb 2, 2021
Country
I bought this watch several years ago without knowing anything about the maker. I recognized it as being a ~1760s clean and pristine verge fusee similar to others that I've seen. The watch and case do not show any signs of wear or past repairs. The chain is unhooked, so I checked that the mainspring holds tension and it does. When I get around to servicing it, I will check the chain for damage and ensure the fusee click works. Hopefully, it just came loose.

I recently searched for information on the maker and discovered that he is actually quite famous. Emery was the first watchmaker to produce lever escapements after Thomas Mudge. This watch is number 590 and I believe it was produced approximately around the time Emery would've been first experimenting with lever design (number 615?) and within two years of his documented number 661. Maybe some experts can help to clarify this?

Can anyone help me with information on the case maker? It is marked 'MR'.

Another interesting fact about Emery is that he produced the watch carried by Admiral Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar:

R/
Chris

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Chris,

I must say you have quite a NICE collection of watches!

Rob

Reactions: aucaj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller