• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Johnston & Melhorn 8 day

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
I have been watching this forum for news of the Johnston & Melhorn 8 day shelf clock that sold at auction in Indiana one month ago. Would a member of the congregation have any news of the clock ? I ask because I own one example now and wish to compare the two clocks. Thank you........

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
That is correct. As stated, I wish to compare the two clocks. Movement, label, bell, case design, door glass installation method , etc.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
That would require input from the buyer, of course, who may or may not haunt this message board or be willing to share the information.

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
This is an exceptionally interesting clock- movement looks to be Salem Bridge type, though there are no pictures that I can find. Does yours have a Pennsylvania label? Case looks to be a typical Connecticut wooden movement case, maybe bought in and mated with a Pennsylvania made Salem Bridge type movement. Can you post pictures of yours, for comparison?

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This is an exceptionally interesting clock- movement looks to be Salem Bridge type, though there are no pictures that I can find. Does yours have a Pennsylvania label? Case looks to be a typical Connecticut wooden movement case, maybe bought in and mated with a Pennsylvania made Salem Bridge type movement. Can you post pictures of yours, for comparison?
That certainly is a most interesting clock which sold at auction!

What caught my eye was the spacing of the winding holes.

A bit of research turned this up: http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1990/articles/1997/309/309_473.pdf

By some miracle, I was able to access the article and rather than getting the endless malfunction resulting in a repeated prompt to log in.

Scroll down to page 479.

Pictured there is what I would refer to as a "glorious fragment" of a very similar clock minus the dial and spat.

The case is a CT style carved 1/2 column with carved paw feet in the front and which probably originally had a carved splat.

There is a mirror in the door. Don't know if it's original.

The movement is a Salem Bridge style brass weight driven movement. It is not believed to be of CT manufacture.

The label is shown with the place names of Boonsborough and Hagerstown, MD.

On page 470, a pillar and scroll style clock by A. Johnston of Hagerstown, MD is pictured. Very similar Salem Bridge style movement!

PAN's ? about evidence of a PA origin is actually quite on the $$.

Now, Salem Bridge style movements are known in PA clocks. Well, apparently Hagerstown is 5 miles from the PA boarder, Boonsborough is 10 miles further south!

PLEASE post pictures of your clock including label and movement.

Potentially a very interesting clock indeed.

RM

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Thanks for digging up this reference, Bob. It's interesting to note that the hands on the example shown in the article appears to be similar in style to the hands of the recently auctioned clock referenced above by Mr. Thornberry. It would be very helpful to see a few pictures of the original poster's clock, for comparison's sake.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Came up with this additional bit.

An A. Johnston, Hagerstown P&S clock sold through Cottone's as part of the landmark Zaharis sale in 2001.

As I didn't get permission to use the photo from the auction house and I didn't wish to make anyone too anxious, rather than posting the pic which is what I was interested in, here's a link to the auction: http://www.cottoneauctions.com/oldsite/old/normal docs/clock_zaharis. page 1.html

It's lot #67. Click on the thumbnail for a nice clear image in color of the clock.

I believe it may be the same clock in the Bulletin reference I linked to. I tried to confirm that but no matter how I signed in or out, stood on my head, etc, I couldn't get beyond endless requests to log in.

Also, a request to the OP: please post pix of your clock. Thanks in advance.

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry