Johnathon Betts

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Jerry Freedman, Sep 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    I just received my copy Betts' book The Marine Chronometers at Greenwich. Very heavy and thick book.

I have only glanced at it, but it is beautiful. It will have to be read on a flat surface. It is pricey, and Amazon's
    price is $175.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

Jerry Freedman

tick talk likes this.
  2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have it and like it a lot.:thumb:

3. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just once in a while, I look across my hobby room, and look at this fat, expencive book on Chronometers, Sometimes I think it is smiling at me, on other days I think is has a smerk, and I am not talking about the book you like so much, I too have that book and I use it nearly every day. At the moment, it was seeing this thread, that said, Allan its time you put pen to paper, stick out your chest and tell people you bought the special copy-you have number 5 of forty. I can say I bought it has an investment, in years to come it will be worth a fortune-but then I know I won´t be there. Did I buy it because there might be more information in there-I will never know-I havént had the nerve to put fingerprints on the pages, when I first took it out of the protective cover I found it was felt lined-it wont even let air inside-ever mind me, I slowly put it back inside. I don´t think the book is too impressed with me, and why should it be-it sits right next to Robert T. Gould-the second edition-the Gould is only half its size and I get the feeling they dont get on-or is it me? They could be just telling stories about chronometers-knowing quite well I cannot remember all they have to say-and the others on that shelf are laughing in chorus.I do hope the other people who bought the book don´t have these problems-if they do, they could send their books to me-and I will make room on my shelves, I love the smell of leather-don´t you`? Allan

IMG_6688.JPG IMG_6692.JPG IMG_6693.JPG IMG_6694.JPG IMG_6695.JPG

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan, is there a copy of "It's About Time" down there on the second shelf? I have been trying to clean up my library and discovered I have 5 copies and I only need two. :)

I have Jonathan's catalog and the Gould enhanced re-issue side by side also. But I put them on my chronometer cabinet rather than in the book case.

I did not get the special limited edition of Jonathan's book but I did get the limited signed edition of Jeremy Evan's 300 Years of Tompion.
    IMG_3282.jpg IMG_3283.JPG

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He seems a very decent chap, even if he outbid me at auction for a verge clock, at least it was by a maker he is researching so that seemed fair.