John Weatherhill tall case clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Warren Brook, Aug 3, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Warren Brook

Warren Brook Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My friend had one additional clock she wanted maker information on. It is a tall case clock with the signature "John Weatherhill Liverpool" on the dial.

Please let me know if you can provide any information on this maker.

Thanks,
    Warren Brook NAWCC #15900 Chapter 24 Director

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Warren, Loomes has two makers with the name John Weatherhilt (Weatherill) listed as working in Liverpool, one in 1825 and the other 1780-1829. No maker with the name Weatherhill is listed.

3. Warren Brook

NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw the clock today and took the following photos. The dial is in fact signed John Weatherhilt. The clock is just under 8 feet tall. I look forward to any additional comments from this board.

Thanks,
    Warren Brook NAWCC #159000 Chapter 24 Director

Attached Files:

4. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Warren-

Jonathan has given all of the maker information I could find and 1820's is a reasonable date for the clock.

One unusual feature is the center seconds. While not unheard of, it is certainly out of the ordinary. And I believe there should be a center calendar hand as well.

Nice piece!

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David, my first thought was a second hand as well, but I wonder if that is the calendar hand.

6. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Harold-

I had to look very closely to distinguish the minute hand from the second hand but I'm pretty sure it isn't the calendar hand.

Look carefully at the middle photo and you will see the tips of both the minute hand and the long second hand. Also, if you look at the reflection in the door glass you will see the two hands separated.

I think I see the short center calendar hand just extending out from under the counter balance of the second hand.

Regards,

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I see what you mean, David. Good eyes:thumb:

8. Warren Brook

NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: John Weatherhilt tall case clock

Thanks for all your responses so far. The calendar hand that is pretty much hidden behind the seconds sweep hand. The seconds hand doesn't look right to me. Is this a correct hand for this period?

Warren Brook NAWCC #159000 Chapter 24 Director

9. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: John Weatherhilt tall case clock

Hey Warren-

Whether or not the second hand is correct can only be determined by how it fits the center shaft, how it is constructed, what it is made of, and how it fits the dial. For example, if the hand is aluminum it wouldn't be correct for the period :). There were so few of these made that virtually every one has a different style second hand.

I can tell you the hand is properly shaped with a counter balance and is the proper length for the dial. Without more information to go on, I'd say it is correct.

Regards,

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well spotted David. Interesting dial and the arrangement of a seconds hand and calendar hand in the centre is not that uncommon on high quality clocks from the Midlands and the North though it hardly helps with telling the time. Along with the lunar dial it has just about every feature you could put on a longcase clock other than a strike/silent setting.

Just my opinion but the seconds hand just doesn't look right. Is there a dialmakers name on the back of the dial or the falseplate if it has one? If so that may narrow down the date.

11. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    WOW!!!!!

Warren,

Your friend is extremely lucky in owning the finest painted dial clock that has appeared on this board since I joined. Besides the centre sweep, it is the case that is the most important aspect of this clock.

The centre sweeps on these clocks often look as if they belong on a modern electric clock: very plane, without any decoration. No problem there.

This clock is up to the standard of Lassells of Toxteth Park.Liverpool's finest maker.(Toxteth park is the old name for the area South of Liverpool city. It extended to beyond the airport and a was a royal hunting park originally. Now, Toxteth is a smaller area.Famous for “riots” in 82)

The case is a fine example of a Chippendale style Lancashire / Liverpool type. Top top quality!!!

Twin Corinthian columns, beautiful quartered columns on the trunk. Chines style mouldings and top of trunk door, etc: it is the sort of clock most people (in UK) can only dream about. It is said that some of the Liverpool cases were made in the Chippendale workshops.

I had looked at the thread and wasn’t going to bother returning, until I noticed the pictures actually had some near-decent shots of the case. I have been looked at strangely here on this board, because I keep trying to get people to take notice of the case-work of hand made clocks. Most contributors to the board think only in terms of the movements and faces. I have even had PMs from the Moderator dep, questioning my referring to clocks as being “Chippendale” “Sheraton” etc. With hand made clocks, the case style must not be overlooked.

In Liverpool, the proceeds from the sale of that clock, would buy a nice house!

I would love to have the clock in the “grandfather experts” thread. It needs to b dissected and discussed in depth.

It is almost like “manna” from heaven!

To make the ownership of your friend’s clock more interesting, I include a map of Liverpool 1765, to give you some idea of the times in which the clock was made. I have scanned them so that when you print them out, you will be able to trim and match them into the whole.

Laprade

Attached Files:

12. laprade

laprade Registered User

Sep 10, 2008
    writer, radio producer, old building-materials adv
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 mil
    Country Flag:
    Forgot the full map !!

Attached Files: