John Wanamaker Carriage Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Robert Ryan, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Just arrived, this John Wanamaker Carriage Clock. It actually does run for a while...it is totally filthy. Now I need to get up the nerve to disassemble and clean. It also shows a hairline crack on the dial.

I have had a couple of carriage clock failures....so hoping this will turn that around. I am guessing it is early 1900s. Any other information welcome.

~Bob IMG_3282.jpeg IMG_3278.jpeg IMG_3280.jpeg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob,

Your clock was made in France for the John Wanamaker department store in Philadelphia. It was made sometime after 1909.

I can not determine which French manufacturer made the clock.

Regards.

3. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I'll attempt to keep my cleaning process updated.

Of course the most intimidating aspect is removing and re-installing the escapement platform.

~B

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Make sure to let down the mainspring before you remove the platform.

Uhralt

5. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Yes, thanks, definitely let down the main spring...what is the safest cleaner/solvent for cleaning that dirty platform escapement? I have Zep 505

IMG_3282.jpeg

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the platform has a cylinder escapement,different from the modern anchor.If You handle a cylinder the first time,read first so that You know what You´re doing.If broken they are hard to replace.Good luck with this nice clock!
    Burkhard

7. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    So it's not just a question of removing the screws, lifting the platform out and when cleaned, re-installing with the screws, etc....:???:? Could you steer me to an article, etc as a reference? Thank you.

~B

8. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    servicing a platform correctly is more watch work than clock work , especially with a cylinder escapement. It needs to be taken appart,cleaned and oiled. I´d give it to a professional watchmaker to do the job.
    For reading look for a watchmaker´s book on escapements or search "cylinder escapement" on this forum.
    Burkhard

9. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Understand....the operation, as you suggest, is clearly beyond my skillset. I will do my research.

Even in its current condition, the clock has been running for several hours....we shall see.

~B

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock was made by Couaillet in Saint-Nicolas-d'Aliermont, one of the largest producers of French carriage clocks who also made semi-finished movements for others. It looks to be an Obis case which was the most modest, cheapest and most commonly seen style.

11. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for this information....what were the clues? There is a small component number 79 on certain parts. I have disassembled and cleaned the movement ...except the platform, for obvious reasons....and it has been running fine for over 24 hours. Now cleaning the case. It is plain as you noted....but I get my brass addiction soothed nonetheless. I'll post pics when done.

~B

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you remove the glass panels for polishing the case make notes which panel goes where and what is the upside. Often these panels fit only well in their original places.

Uhralt

13. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Excellent advice...you have correctly percieved my rookie status.

~Bob

14. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    This clock was totally immersive....and thanks for the help and information. Seems to be keeping good time...curious to see how long it will run before the next wind.

IMG_3288.jpeg IMG_3294.jpeg IMG_3295.jpeg IMG_3296.jpeg

15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the movement is in good condition it will run for at least 8 days, maybe 10.

Uhralt

16. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    I'll report back.....as I said I stayed away from the platform escapement.....but all seems fine at the moment. I have had two other carriage clock failures. One in particular ran fine but gained about a half hour or more in 12 hours. There was a missing tooth on the escape wheel...go figure.

Escape Wheel.jpg

17. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, this will speed up things considerably. You should also hear an uneven ticking.

Uhralt

18. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I didn't notice it at first....now I am sorting out what to do. And I am learning about the lack of interchangeable parts of carriage clocks....another rookie lesson. Not that an expensive education ...but an education in any event. Which is why I left this platform untouched.

19. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks a lot better, nice untarnished brass. The style of the winding arrow indicates the maker. The movement is also called an Obis, they have the dial fitted directly onto the front plate so the motion works are on the inside of the front plate. Unfortunately cylinder platforms are no longer made so hopefully you can find someone who can service it and sort out the missing tooth. If not you could look to find a spare cylinder or a replacement lever platform is an option but nice to keep it original.

20. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your observations. I have purchased a couple of cylinder platforms off of eBay with mixed results....again learning about the lack of interchangeable parts.....but I may have some components if I can successfully replace the wheel with the broken tooth.....but that's down the road a bit. Enjoying the pleasure of the current working clock.

21. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing your clocks and experiences. Who was the maker on the one with the broken tooth?

22. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    I do not know...here are some photos of the clock in question. I will attempt to repair it myself.....professional estimates far exceed its value. The case a glass are in fine shape.

IMG_3297.jpeg IMG_3300.jpeg IMG_3299.jpeg

23. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert,

It's important with cylinder escapements that the dimensions of the escape wheel are an exact match with the cylinder; as well as the wheel being the correct diameter, the impulse plane of each tooth has to fit inside the cylinder and the cylinder has to fit in the gap between adjacent teeth, both with only just enough clearance.

I have seen a tooth broken off this way, because the teeth are quite vulnerable to rough handling, being perched on those thin stalks; if the balance wheel is pulled out carelessly with a tooth still positioned inside it, this is the result.

Regards,

Graham

24. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    I think most likely it will not work....otherwise the clock is in great shape.....so in my way of thinking ...it's worth a try. Our professionals in this part of the world are booking two years out.

Thanks for the response.

~Bob