John Russel of London

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by pilot1012000, Jun 6, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pilot1012000

pilot1012000 New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Good day all.

I have just inherited a yellow gold pocket watch, with the name John Russel, London, on the face.
    I have searched and searched, and I cannot find anything about this maker. I have found information regarding Thomas Russell and sons, but no reference to John (spelt with one ‘L’).
    The timepiece is spectacular, with the ‘Swiss Made’ wording either side of the six o’clock mark.
    If anyone can help me try and piece together some history around this timepiece, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. escarolo

escarolo Registered User

Dec 10, 2007
    Hello,

It seems really "spectacular"

The watchmaker from London (UK?) and the watch "swiss made"

All in the same dial.

I need looking that pic. Please

Regards

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The name Russel would be the jewelry store that sold the watch. The maker might be determined from a picture of the movement.

4. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would go so far as to say that John Russel is certainly the London retailer who sold the watch originally. Based on what info you have given, I would guess a date of somewhere between 1890 and 1930. Many, if not most, watches sold in Britain during that period were movements imported from Switzerland or America and cased in England. If the case is gold, and was made in England it will have the English hallmark, which will serve to date the watch. Even if the case was made abroad, if it was sold in Britain it will have the import hallmark, which again will serve to date the watch.

If there is no identifiable English hallmark on the case, then it is neither gold nor silver, or, the case was made abroad and privately imported.

Photos of any hallmark-like marking on the case, as well of the movement, would give a lot more info.

Jerry

[edit=3071=1212833706][/edit]

5. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
  6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Roy,

Although it's signed for London, and may have been sold by a London retailer, it looks like a Swiss product to me.

Regards,

Graham