John Robey's new book on Gothic Clocks and Lantern Clocks

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Happy Friday!

Received my copy of John Robey's new book on Gothic Clocks to Lantern Clocks this morning. Its just been printed last week. The title is Short-Duration clocks and Rural clocks 1480-1800.

Lots of great photos of individual clocks If you have an interest in that area of horology its well worth getting. Its a gap in the coverage of English books on horology which John has filled.

Cheers
Dean

1614927504358.png

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I'm not familiar with Mayfield books, but saw in a newsletter this week that it is available from Formby Antiques. 360 pages.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Hi Dean, it looks like another good substantial book from the mayfield stable. Iam wondering, does it duplicate or take a different angle on developments when it gets to the lantern clock era, which have been substantially covered by Loomes and White ?
(Of course I realise you may not have got that far into it yet !! )
David

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I also bought a couple of copies directly from John.

Just a quick skim of the book, gave me the impression, that lantern clocks were more incidental to the topic and not a priority in any way.

I might change my mind when I get a chance to read it. It looks good, and as Dean pointed out, it appears to fill a long ignored gap in horological history.

Ralph

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
Hi David,

As Ralph has indicated English Lanterns aren't really a major focus of the book. The approach is quite different to other books as John has analyzed numerous clocks with detailed with pictures of all the parts rather than than descriptions of particular classes of clocks.

You're more than welcome to borrow it to have a look.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre