John Poole 2 day chronometer

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Mervyn Tansley, Jun 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mervyn Tansley

Mervyn Tansley New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently acquired a John Poole 2 day ships chronometer complete with Tipsy Key, box missing the solid wooden to cover but glass top in good order - wooden top sometimes removed to see the clock for navigation.
    Having run in and out of a bridge with a sextant i am not surprised the box top is removed.
    Its Poole number 4206 - are there any records on these clocks and who they were sold to and manufactured dates?
    There is a sticky that says it was repaired in January 1909.

IMG_7650.jpg

2. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Mercer's "Chronometer Makers of the World" shows John Poole working at 57 Fenchurch Street from 1858 to 1885 and dates your example to around 1870. The highest serial number listed in my 1st edition is 3921 dated 1867.

Tom McIntyre likes this.
  3. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Mervyn,

Nice piece. If it was maked for British MOD (Broad Arrow) you could get a resume from Greenwhich.

If not, you are most likely out of luck.

For the lid. Do not wast time and effort having one made. First these boxes were sonstructed as a cube and then sawed into the sections. The grain on an original box will flow across the sections. The grain on a new lid stands out and to me is offensive. Even with M21 boxes.

Secondly, that may be a box made from Brazilian Rosewood which the last I check was not legally harvested. Agin the grain won't match anyway.

I have setteled on recommending that owners of boxes whose lids have been found superfluous is to have someone (Gary Selleck) make a box joint edging to be applied areound the top to cover the hinge mortises (a la Late Mercers). There will not be enough grain showing to stand out and it makes a presentation that can get it on the coffee table.

Of course, my personal preference is to let the piece tell its story as you recognize. It was used professionally as a scientific instrument and the lid was useless.

One of my personal favorites is a survey instrument (Sidereal) used by the Canadian Govt. Just the lower section sawed down to barely cover the unmounted instrument and the lid.

4. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dewey, I agree with you about letting the "piece tell its story" especially when the provenance is known however sometimes folks just want the piece restored and with careful grain selection and coloring, sometimes one can get pretty close.
    Paul

IMG_1544.JPG DSCN5396.JPG

5. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Paul,

It always up to the current owner. At least lids are reversible. I was exlaining my personal preferance and what I tell customers who ask for my advice.

Regards,

Dewey

6. davy26

davy26 Registered User

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Researcher and Writer
    Kent, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations on acquiring your Poole Chronometer - he was indeed a fine maker. It may be of interest to you that I wrote an article on Poole recently and this was published in the August 2016 issue of Clocks Magazine.

tick talk likes this.
  7. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I too suggest leaving it alone. To me, a chronometer with a top either had a replacement box or top or was just not trusted enough to take to sea. These instruments worked for a living, and usually for a long time.

Poole was famous for his auxiliary compensator on the balance. I would love to see the balance.

8. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    [QUOTE="Dr. Jon, post:
    Poole was famous for his auxiliary compensator on the balance. I would love to see the balance.[/QUOTE]

Pictures below show a Poole auxiliary compensation balance from a 2-day John Poole marine chronometer s/n 3364.

Mun C W

IMG_1865.JPG IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1905.JPG

9. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is #1472

DSCN4952.JPG DSCN4953.JPG

10. itspcb

itspcb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Retired
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The National Maritime Museum has 4209 and Bett's recent book 'Marine Chronometers at Greenwich' fully describes it, including the fact that it was made circa 1866.
    (The 'made' date being likely the sale date, marine chronometers took up to about 3 years to make and finish)
    So it is a fair conclusion that yours too originates from about this date.
    An interesting comment is that this was probably one of the last to be produced by John Poole himself, brother James taking over from John who died in 1867

If you have it taken apart you will find many marks on the various components, have your repairer record these.
    As to the lid issue, I would suggest to leave it alone, it is part of the history of it, besides many were made without the third lid.

Peter

11. Kinpol

Kinpol Registered User

Aug 31, 2010
    art and clocks conservator
    Poland
    Country Flag: