John Key Dumbarton

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
Looking for info on a brass dial tall case marked John Key, Dumbarton. Only hit so far is about a similar clock in a library in Canada.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Looking for info on a brass dial tall case marked John Key, Dumbarton. Only hit so far is about a similar clock in a library in Canada.
Until our UK experts come along, can note that Loomes in the "Complete 21st Century Edition" of his Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World ("Big Red") has:

KEY, John. Dumbarton (Scotland) c. 1790 - early 19th c. Sometimes Key(e)s.

Regards,
Zep

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
Thanks - I don't have that book, guess I should. Wonder if that Scottish Clockmakers book would have anything? The 1790 date squares with the style of hands & spandrels. Would love to learn more about him.

LloydB

Feb 24, 2006
La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
Country
Region
Here's the URL for what I assume is the same reference you found:

http://www.rdpl.red-deer.ab.ca/about/clock.html

They mention that another, possibly identical clock is located
in the Town Council Chambers, Dumbarton Scotland.

I wonder if a direct enquiry to them might get you a picture
and possibly some history. I'll get back to you if I locate an
address. It could be worth the price of the postage (and as
a courtesy, you might offer to cover any expenses at their
end).

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
I checked a few web sites for Smith's Scottish clock book & a newer one by Whtye. Both fairly pricey - hate to spend the money & not find any info. If anyone has those books, could you please take a peek for me? I've sent e-mails & snail mails to the Redpath library & what I hope is the right address for the Dumbarton council. No response as yet. Did find two Key clocks in different auction results - very similar cases & dials. Thanks for any help.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It is a bit hard to know exactly what is meant by Town Council Chambers in Dumbarton. Perhaps what is meant was the Clydebank Town Hall, opened in 1902, which was the administrative centre of the area, including Dumbarton, for a long time. However, this building, which was opened in 1902, is no longer used for its original purpose and is now a venue for weddings, concerts etc. It has also been extensively modernised and I am afraid clock, if that is where it was, may no longer be on the premises.

If you wish to write and ask, the address is:

Clydebank Town Hall,
49 Dumbarton Road,
Clydebank
G81 1UE
United Kingdom

Alternatively (or as well) you could try writing to the Central Reference Library for Dumbarton, the address of which is:

Dumbarton Central Library
Strathleven Place,
Dumbarton
G82 1BD
United Kingdom

It is quite possible that they may know what happened to the clock and might also have additional information on the maker himself.

Hope this may help.

JTD

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
Thanks - already sent an inquiry to Clydebank but will now copy the library too. I feel like I'm back tracing my family tree.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
I checked a few web sites for Smith's Scottish clock book & a newer one by Whtye. Both fairly pricey - hate to spend the money & not find any info. If anyone has those books, could you please take a peek for me? x.
OldCat --

This is why the NAWCC Library was mentioned. You needn't buy the volumes. As a member you have free access to what is the world's finest horological library. This is one of the major benefits of membership.

Staff (there are two full-time librarians, and volunteers as well) can also check the volumes for you. You can phone, email, fax or write.

D.K. Stevenson
NAWCC Library Committtee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff