Joe Collins winder

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Just thought I would let everyone know that was thinking about getting a Joe Collins winder that you will have to make it all yourself. I decided to get one , based on their popularity here, so I contacted Joe to get prices on both the completed winder and the metal parts kit and he said he had closed up shop and would only be offering the free plans from now on.

He certainly should be commended for his helpful and unselfish behavior for developing such a good, simple, and safe tool for us and then just giving away the plans to anyone who might benefit. Good guy.

Randy

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
Yep, agree 100% Randy. Joe is a generous guy for sure. If you follow his plans it'll end with a safe and sturdy spring winder.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Randy, Joe has given selflessly with his great plans for the winder. He sent me the plans a number of years ago and am more than happy with his creation.

Do you think that Joe is not going to make them any more.. or just taking a break?

For all that he has done, if he doesn't feel that he can make them any more, then perhaps he could submit the plans to the moderators so they could publish them in the "stickies".

David

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region

Do you think that Joe is not going to make them any more.. or just taking a break?
He said he was giving up using power tools due to age, but his health is apparently good. Said he didn't know where the recent report came from about him having surgery, as the last and only surgery he had was back in 1953.:D

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Thanks Randy, something is strange here.. I am sure that I saw something about recovering from surgery. I hope it is not due to too many Martinis on my part.

I hope though that some how his plans could be posted on our site so our members can have access to his great winder.

David

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I saw that too, its a new poster who posted about Joe having surgery.
The plans can always be shared at least. Maybe a permament sticky might be a good idea.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Speak to Joe first. I think he enjoys knowing who is
using his design. If it were just posted, he'd not get that
feedback.
Tinker Dwight

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Speak to Joe first. I think he enjoys knowing who is
using his design. If it were just posted, he'd not get that
feedback.
Tinker Dwight
Good point Tinker. The same may apply if someone here wants to take over making them and selling them. From my perspective it is such an effective, safe and inexpensive winder it would be a shame to not keep it going.

David

hookster

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2011
Pottageville Ontario Canada
Country
Region
That's why I bought a second completed unit a couple of years ago as a spare. For what Joe was charging, it didn't make sense to run around and find the materials to make my own from his plans.
Good point Tinker. The same may apply if someone here wants to take over making them and selling them. From my perspective it is such an effective, safe and inexpensive winder it would be a shame to not keep it going.

David

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
Here's what it looks like. I bought the metal parts from Joe & made the wooden parts from a single Red Oak 1x4x48 with plenty left over. I guess Joe isn't selling the metal parts any more, though. It's pretty simple, so I don't think you'd need much more than a small drill press. One modification I've thought about but not done is to put a 2nd bar below the handle shaft - push it out to block the handle instead of tightening the large thumb screw to lock the shaft. His instructions are very good.
Collins Winder.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
One modification I've thought about but not done is to put a 2nd bar below the handle shaft - push it out to block the handle instead of tightening the large thumb screw to lock the shaft.
That's a great idea, Bill. Simple and effective.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
That's a great idea, Bill. Simple and effective.
I have an old spindle skewer from a rear bike wheel that I replaces
to put a longer skewer on for a bugger fitting.
I was thinking of using that in place of the thumb nut. Once
in place, one can just flip the lever down to lock it rather
than turning the nut. I think that would be easier to use
than a rod and able to stop in any position, unlike the rod.
If you don't have a spare, one can be purchased from
any bicycle shop.
Tinker Dwight

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Good video i have it on dvd. Also just another reminder wear a glove and eye protection, springs can be very nasty.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
You don't need a lathe. I used the head from a tap
handle, a piece of pipe for the arbor and a 6 inch
flange for the handle/crank.
For the spring end holder, I used a piece
of plywood and couple pieces of steel rod. One for the arbor
and one for the spring hook ( requires a little filing ).
I used a table saw and a drill press but it could have
been done with hand tools.
I didn't use Joe's barrel clamp but you don't really
need a router for it. One can just clamp together
strips of wood.
Tinker Dwight

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
One suggestion..use a good furniture grade Oak..it will look great and last a long time..Joe may have suggested that in his plans..

Jeramy Cleghorn

May 30, 2014
Greenville TX
Region
"Hi Jeramy,

Unfortunately I am unable to supply a winder at this time. I am incapacitated by a back problem that may keep me out of my workshop for a month or more. I will keep you in mind and notify you when I am able to get back to my shop if you would like. Just let me know.

Regards,

Joe"

This is the message I got from Joe when I messaged him in regards to ordering a winder a while back. Mybad for mixing that up with him having surgery.... This conversation was during a stressful time of post-tornado recovery for myself, lack of sleep and overexertion took a toll on my memory. As for me being a "new poster"..... Not really! This, my business member account is recent, but I've been around for several years
klikmaus
is my long-standing account

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre