Jobbers ,Wholesalers Catalogs

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Kent, Oct 25, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #1 Kent, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Dave T likes this.
  2. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.
    #2 Larry Treiman, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Re: Jobbers

Excellent! This should be among the permanent threads at the head of the Am. Pkt. Watch forum index page. Perhaps it could be the first of a new category, if one of the existing categories isn't appropriate.

Larry

[EDIT] I believe that "wholesaler" may have been a more appropriate term than "jobber" for the type of businesses that issued these catalogs, particularly at the time they were issued. At that time "jobber" had a different connotation, and that may or may not still be true today.

lt

3. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Another vote to make this a sticky and thanks Kent.

4. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:

Absolutely.

5. onsite

onsite Registered User

Mar 6, 2011
    CehNehDeh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

[QUOTE=
    Larry

I believe that "wholesaler" may have been a more appropriate term than "jobber" for the type of businesses that issued these catalogs, particularly at the time they were issued. At that time "jobber" had a different connotation, and that may or may not still be true today.

lt[/QUOTE]

Larry, just to clarify, what is a jobber and how does he differ from a wholesaler? Please expound.

6. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I have a couple of books on my shelf that you might want to check and see if they are listed somewhere for access. They sold watch parts and tools too.

E.L.F. Tool & Material Catalogue (Edwards-Ludwig-Fuller Jewelry Co., S.E. Corner 8th and Walnut Streets, Kansas City, Missouri) 1908

C.H. Knights & Co. Supply Catalogue, Columbus Memorial Building, Chicago 1908-1909

7. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User

Aug 25, 2000

FWIW, I believe "jobbers" was an appropriate period term for these dealers and that its usage appears in the old trade periodicals.

8. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000

I have 30 or so such catalogs in my "library" but scanning them all to post here is too time consuming. I can list some of the "titles" and if anyone needs some specific info from one I might be persuaded to post selected pages.

9. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.
    #9 Larry Treiman, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

I made that statement based on what I recalled from discussions in various Business Administration courses that I took at U.C.L.A. during the early 1960s. After posting it, I decided to do a "Google" search on the difference between "jobber" and "wholesaler" (I don't recall exactly how I worded the search). I still stand by what I said, but I will add that over the years the distinction has become blurred.

The term "jobber" came from the fact that the original jobbers dealt in "job lots" which they purchased from manufacturers, business liquidators, importers, etc. They probably bought and resold at prices below those of other wholesalers.

Wholesalers carried (and still do carry) full lines of merchandise, usually presented in large, hard-bound, profusely-illustrated catalogs, often with inserts (later in color) bound in and provided by the manufacturers whose lines the wholesaler carried. I have a few, ranging from one from C.A. Kiger of Kansas City, with about 250 pages (probably from the mid to late 1920s, to a couple from Benj. Allen & Co. of Chicago. One from 1926 has over 750 pages, but was extensively clipped and otherwise damaged. To me at least, the fact that the companies issued those catalogs differentiated them from the the jobbers. But it is not worth discussing, IMO.

I don't really want to go into this subject any further because, frankly, it bores me! That was why I switched from Bus Ad to a completely different discipline. If you really want to know more, do a search like I did! Personally, I don't really care! I like to see the language used properly, which was why I commented, but I think it is a lost cause, at least as far as the internet is concerned. I regret even taking the time to commeng in the first place. Call them wholesalers or jobbers or whatever you like. The damned internet has probably made any distinction useless by now, anyway! <];>)

Larry

10. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000

Here is a nice little quote from an 1885 watch trade magazine:

img623.jpg

It's not a terribly important point to me, but it's not an invention of the "internet times" that jobber and wholesaler were synonyms. They were in the watch and jewelry trade going way way back.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I had always thought they were named based on the style of transaction.

Jobbers gather orders from retailers with flexible demand schedules and then package them for manufacturers so that the job order is large enough to justify production.

Wholesalers take production from manufacturers on speculation and sell the product to retailers.

A point of interest is that Jobbers can order product with private labels or other distinguishing characteristics from the manufacturer for each retailer. Wholesalers can order special finishes or marking for their own distinction.

Clearly the same organization could handle both kinds of product flow.

Either could also,in principle, make modifications to the product before the sale to retailers. In that case, they might be considered an oem with their ownproduct content. It all gets very fuzzy as it does today in manufacturing.

12. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

TERRIFIC THREAD! Sticky vote here.

If I can find them, I have some old jobber/wholesalers catelgoues that show Waltham crystal plate watches, early howards, peoria's and even some railroads that are said to have never existed.

Also have several Norris Allister catalogues, pre-ball and several Ball Company catalogs from the early 1900's.

will share...when I find them!

GREAT THREAD!

13. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Sorry to be a pain, but some of the links in this thread don't work.

Rob

14. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Rob,
    You should post problems in the "message board problems" section where an admin will see them and act on them.

15. Jim Carroll

Jim Carroll Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Inverclyde Scotland
    Region Flag:
    Kent do you have this pamphlet it has nine pages of jobbers names by state.
    j & M 014.jpg j & M 003.jpg

j & M 014.jpg j & M 003.jpg

Tim Fitzgerald likes this.
  16. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    These broken links are due to the move to the new Message Board software. As Dave Coatsworth posted, they will have to be fixed by the people who take care of such problems.

17. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jim, I don't have it! Unfortunately, the resolution is too low to read accurately. Can you post better (higher resolution) pictures?

18. Jim Carroll

NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Inverclyde Scotland
    Region Flag:
    #18 Jim Carroll, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    sc1.jpg sc2.jpg sc3.jpg

19. Jim Carroll

NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Inverclyde Scotland
    Region Flag:
    I had problems with seeing attachments
    sc4.jpg sc5.jpg sc6.jpg

20. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    The preferred current listing (which will reflect updates) is: Jobbers Catalogs

Jim Haney and viclip like this.
  21. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000
    FWIW, here's a partial list of such catalogs and price lists in my library. Many are in rather delicate condition so I hesitate to scan too many pages but if there is something specific you might have an interest in just ask. I'll see what I can do.

Also, if this should go somewhere else feel free to move it.

Brown & Winterberg, Oct. 1890
    S. F. Meyers, Jan. 1884
    Benj. Allen, Mar. 1899
    Smith & Knapp, Sept. 1891
    Cross & Beguelin, Oct. 1884
    Payne, Steck & Co., May 1887
    H. F. Hahn, Apr. 1887
    C. H. Knights, June 1905
    Quaker City Watch Co., Feb. 1900
    J. T. Scott, Apr. 1876
    L. S. Stowe, Oct. 1890
    Benj. Allen, Mar. 1907
    Benj. Allen, Apr. 1883 (partial)
    Aurora, Oct. 26, 1893
    M. C. Eppenstein, c. 1892
    Bogle Bros., June 1895
    Lapp & Flershem, 1908
    Eisenstadt, Feb. 1908
    Bowman & Musser, July 1883
    L. Ollendorff, Oct. 1889
    L. H. Schaffer, c. 1910
    W. J. Johnston, Nov. 1905
    Bowler & Burdick, c. 1900
    Lapp & Flershem, 1909
    Rockford, c. 1875
    Benj. Allen, 1888
    C. H. Knights, 1908
    J. H. Purdy, c. 1905
    E. A. Cowan, 1910

PatH and viclip like this.
  22. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000
    Per request, here is the Elgin mvts listed in J. T. Scott & Co., April 1, 1876, price list:

img185.jpg

Worth noting is that the stem-winders are not differentiated as either open-face or hunting. Only in later catalogs (c. 1880) is this distinction made. And you can bet your last dollar that these Elgin stem-winders wound at 3 o'clock. And since in the same catalog we see offerings of open-face cases then it is clear that (with few exceptions) if you bought an Elgin stem-winder in 1876 and wanted it in an open-face case that you ended up with a sidewinder (with few exceptions).

img186.jpg

Kent, musicguy, viclip and 2 others like this.
  23. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Great information Greg

I know this isn't going to happen but I wish
    every member who had price lists(that we don't have already)
    would scan these, and old jobbers catalouges in their entirely
    and post them in our jobbers section of the encyclopedia(or their appropriate place on the forum)

Rob

24. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #25 Kent, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Thanks!

A quick look through the Jobbers Catalogs page shows that the P.W. Ellis and M. C. Eppenstein catalogs are already listed (by the way, the 17-jewel Hampden watches on pages 10 & 11 and lack of 17-jewel Waltham movements on pages 14 & 15 of the M. C. Eppenstein catalog places it in the early 1890s).

Perhaps a page ought to be started for material catalogs if more like the Benj Allen catalog show up.

25. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I agree. If I understand correctly, there may be another site server transition in the works. My hope is that I will be able to post pics from my phone as I haven't got a computer. I do have a collection of catalogs I would be happy to share.-Cort

musicguy and Kent like this.