JKA Feintaster, old and new

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by karlmansson, Dec 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Hello!

I’m in the, for me, rather unusual position of having no less than three different JKA Feintasters. I recently got my hands on a rather large collection of watchmaking tools in a lot and two were included in that. I have an older version from before with a longer arm for the pincer jaws. All three are pictured below, although those pictures are not mine but more or less identical.

My father has claimed one of them, which looks by far the nicest. The pincer jaws are ground with a continuous, immaculate finish and almost every other detail looks very well made. My previous tool falls somewhere in between that and the, by the looks of it, more recent tool that came in the lot. It has the black oxide coated pincer jaws with a ground flat that doesn’t line up perfectly. The bezel ring is also plastic.

It’s sort of obvious to me that these differ somewhat in build quality but I’d like to hear your opinions and experiences using these. Do they differ in accuracy? Repeatability? Usefulness (I’m still not sure of why mine has that long arm for instance)?
    I plan on selling at least one of these and I’m trying to figure out which one it should be.

All help is appreciated!

Best regards
    Karl

150D72DF-2D22-498A-A444-950069503A6E.jpeg 038C45E0-F7A1-4855-9069-3C88C262CEA1.jpeg 12E22374-BECA-4F03-832B-C0F7D2611CD6.jpeg

2. karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    I realize now that asking for a full review on how these tools compare to each other was a bit optimistic. Can anyone tell me if they have on or the other of these and how you happy you have been using it? Drawbacks etc. I'd appreciate it!

Best regards
    Karl

3. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Karl,

I can't give you a comparative review but I have one in very good condition and I am quite satisfied with it. I checked it out with gauge pins and it gave superb repeatability, at both the pincer and the jaws. The height adjustable table under the jaws and the cutout in those jaws is an added plus point. I use it sparingly but it's really good at what it does.

If I had two, I definitely would not sell off one. But I'm a tool hoarder.

Hope that helped, if you need any other details I can help with, just ask.

Sharukh.

4. karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for sharing you experience, Sharukh! I'm trying to stream line my collection of tools somewhat, and I'm also in the position of moving for the second time this year in a couple of months. I'm having to motivate the presence of every tool in the workshop to myself, and my ever so sceptical girlfriend :). Then again, the ML7 does make the bench micrometers pale in comparison...

Best regards
    Karl