• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

JJS stamped mechanism in marble and slate clock.

eddiesolo

Jan 16, 2016
Country
Region
I am looking at a slate and marble clock, it has no chips that I can see, the mechanism has a J.J.S stamp in an oval with some numbers: 3778 and what looks like a 52. It has a white dial with a gilt chapter ring.

I can not get any pics up to show as I do not own the clock, yet.

The owner states it ticks when picked up then stops, there is no key (not a problem) and no pendulum-hence it would stop.

Now, my question is, is this worth going for? Reason I am not too sure is which pendulum do I go for, new to this clock game, and the brass mechanism is so clean and shiny-alarm bells ringing-is this a copy or is it something worth having a punt for? The dealer is not a clock seller, he sells all sorts and it is the only one he has.

Any info would be a help.

Thanks guys.

Si:)

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It is almost impossible to give you any useful information without having pictures. From the (very) little information you have given it is possible that this is a French movement, many of which were completely unmarked. J.J.S.in an oval was likely either the assembler, the importer or the retailer. Is the movement round or square? Does it strike or is it a timepiece? If there is no pendulum you would have to get one but pendulums for French clocks are easily obtainable.

The fact that it is clean and shiny means just that, clean and shiny. A movement which is 150 years old can be made clean and shiny, so there is nothing to indicate that yours is reproduction just because it is clean.

If the case is in good condition, that is a plus (no one is going to bother making a repro. slate and marble case!). Warning: if you do get this clock, do not pick it up by the top, these cases were held together with wires and plaster of Paris. They can easily fall to pieces unless picked up from the bottom.

But without pictures, this is all guesswork on my part.

JTD

eddiesolo

Jan 16, 2016
Country
Region
Thank you for the info.

I have managed to source some pics, I hope these help.

Looks like you are correct...my first clock could well be not my last.

clock 1.JPG clock 2.JPG clock 3.JPG clock 4.JPG clock 5.JPG clock 6.JPG clock 7.JPG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, nice clean French roulant movement, certainly not repro.. Case looks o.k. too, although you could brighten it up with some restorer (it would get rid of the grey bloom on the side). Needs a pendulum.

Nothing special to say about it - if you like it, buy it (if it's not expensive).

JTD

eddiesolo

Jan 16, 2016
Country
Region
Superb, thank you. It is going to cost under £40 hopefully, on top I need a key and a pendulum.

What weight and size pendulum would I need please?

Also, sorry to be a pain, what date are we looking at here, 1930's?

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Sounds like a good buy. It appears to have a Vallet suspension adjustment. I've seen the mark JJS before but afaik it hasn't been identified. The effective pendulum length is 3 and 2/12 French inches or around 86mm denoted by the 3 2 at the base of the backplate, try a bob weight of about 75 grams. It'll be late 19th or early 20th C.

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Pendulum: go to Meadows & Passmore website and look in their catalogue. French Clock Pendulum Pt. No 0292 000015 will probably suit, but you could try your local clockmaker who might have one in his box of bits. Also a key.

Your clock is hard to date, as this style was made for a long time. Probably around 1880-1900.

JTD

PS Jonathan beat me to the 'send' button!

eddiesolo

Jan 16, 2016
Country
Region
Sounds like a good buy. It appears to have a Vallet suspension adjustment. I've seen the mark JJS before but afaik it hasn't been identified. The effective pendulum length is 3 and 2/12 French inches or around 86mm denoted by the 3 2 at the base of the backplate, try a bob weight of about 75 grams. It'll be late 19th or early 20th C.
Thank you Jonathan, some good info, appreciate it. Will have a look at the bits I need.

eddiesolo

Jan 16, 2016
Country
Region
Pendulum: go to Meadows & Passmore website and look in their catalogue. French Clock Pendulum Pt. No 0292 000015 will probably suit, but you could try your local clockmaker who might have one in his box of bits. Also a key.

Your clock is hard to date, as this style was made for a long time. Probably around 1880-1900.

JTD

PS Jonathan beat me to the 'send' button!
Cheers mate, thank you for your time. Have saved the link in my faves. Will have a good look if I get the clock, it does look clean and tidy and well kept, why there is no key or pendulum sounds daft to me for a clock in that condition. I and I suppose 99.9% on here would keep the key and pendulum with the clock-well, that would make sense to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-