Jewelers Clock Help

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
hi, would anyone be able to help identify the manufacturer and date of my pinwheel escapement clock? thank you!

regulator1.jpg

reguator2.jpg

regulator3.jpg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
a lot of different clock manufacturers purchased swiss (mostly) and french movements and matched them with cases here. there are typically no markings to help identify makers, although french ones sometimes say 'france' on the top of pendulum block (that holds the suspension spring).

yours (especially case and movement) looks older to me. it's not one of the usual suspects (gilbert, waterbury, etc.). either way, it's a jewelers regulator and going to be highly accurate.

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
hi Bruce, thanks for your quick response, the pendulum looks to me to be very similar to Waterbury clocks I've seen. But I'm guessing same pendulums were used on many different clocks? Does the pendulum help determine the age the clock or anything else to help determine the age? thankyou

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
actually, waterbury pendulums are the only ones that are identifiable, as the rods are oval in shape. yours does not look waterbury to me, but i'm not exactly an expert. :) here are photos of my waterbury 8 pendulum.... lots of little differences...

image_1.jpg image_12.jpg image_14.jpg image_16.jpg

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
Thank you for the information. One more question I have is on the pendulum hanger, there are two holes, one bigger one on the bottom and one smaller one on top. The bottom one uses a screw to attach the pendulum to the hanger, but I am not sure what to put in the smaller hole, as it is not threaded. Any ideas?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
always helps to have photos to refer to, but in this case i'm pretty confident in saying:

they're all like this... held in place with one screw. the second hole goes over (or is supposed to go over) a pin that keeps the pendulum locked in place and alignment with the thick crutch rod it attaches to. you slide the pendulum onto the pin (assuming/hoping it's still there!) and seriously clamp down with your left hand (unless someone is helping you) while inserting and tightening the screw to hold/lock it in place.

here's a photo of another one of my JR's (pre-restoration)... note that this one is a french movement, and they occasionally have numbers stamped on some parts, along with 'france' on the suspension block.

image_9.jpg

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
Hi Bruce, I can see what you are saying about the pendulum from your pictures, when i look closer i can see it resembles some Gilbert pendulums more, not saying it is one. Could you help me figure out how to replicate a pin for the pendulum? The pin on this is missing.

20210220_195134.jpg

20210220_195144.jpg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
so does the head of the pictured screw fit IN the bigger hole? or is the head bigger than the hole?

the reason i'm asking is because those pendulums weigh around 13 lbs... and you don't want it able to slide off the screw head. you want the screw to tighten down OVER it. as for the pin, you just need to find a small piece of steel rod the right size (for both holes)... and then make sure it's tight. i would probably peen it in place AND use some loctite to make sure it doesn't move (but you still want the pendulum to be able to slide on and off the pin easily... the screw does the holding. make sense?

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
yes, removing the screw, it fits perfectly in the bigger hole. Everything you said about the pin makes sense so I will give it a try. Thanks for all of your help!

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
A local clock friend found this clock in his book. It is made by New Haven, 1895 model 'The New York'.

Next, can anyone help me with a technique to straighten or flatten and maybe take some of the bends or folds out of the brass decorative piece on the pendulum rod? It should be perfectly flat, correct?

252AA69C-E45B-41E1-8E07-82B5C5434B95.jpeg 20210221_161101.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Those are thin enough to bend with your fingers. Just go slow, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Grant Perry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent